Is Mailing a computer safe?

weasel

what would be the safest way to mail a computer? it has hyper 212 and r9 280x(pretty heavy card) but has sturdy corsair 500r. what can i do to ensure its safety? is fedex safer then usps's "fragile" shipping? thanks

For shipping, take out any tall cpu heatsinks, but the gpu is fine inside, just make sure the port screws are tight.

6 minutes ago, kwiksilver said:

You may want to put your parts back into the box that they came with, if you still have them. Because the boxes and wrapping are static proof

That's kind of exaggerated a bit since, ive sent my computer over 400km with all the parts inside and nothing was damaged.

it depends on your mailman.

if your mailman is this, there's little to worry about:

mailman78986.jpg

unfortunately most large deliveries are done by idiots like these:

foto1-1321374627.jpg

take out the CPU heatsink and GPU, make sure all the screws are tight. You can use tape or ties to make sure the hard drive won't slide out of the cage and start killing components with its hard edges on a shaky ride. You can put the heatsink and GPU inside the very same case using their own boxes or lots of wrapping paper.

The person recieving the system would have to open it up and put everything as it should go back again.

Avoid UPS like the plague, they don't give a shit. USPS has been good for me generally, never had a mishap with them.

6 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Avoid UPS like the plague, they don't give a shit. USPS has been good for me generally, never had a mishap with them.

What makes you say that?  I've never shipped a computer through them but I've had very good experiences with UPS when ordering online.  FedEx is a close second though not quite as good partly because I've set a preference for them to not leave packages at my front door but they always do anyway.  Pretty much any time I've had something come damaged through UPS or Fedex was usually because the place I bought from packaged things like an idiot.

USPS can go jump off a cliff for all the crap they've done to me.

9 hours ago, kwiksilver said:

You may want to put your parts back into the box that they came with, if you still have them. Because the boxes and wrapping are static proof

some of the wrapping is. Lots of the "anti static" bags arent static proof at all. INfact they will easily let static discharges through. YOu just need higher levels of discharge to strike through. Which means if and when it happens, it will without failure completely wreck your hardware.

17 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I've never shipped a computer through them but I've had very good experiences with UPS when ordering online.

Then you're the lucky one as several youtubers refer to them as the united package smashers because of the dented packages they get, but the USPS aren't above playing package soccer as alphaomegasin found out 4 months ago.

Back on the subject, you can get a bag that contains expanding foam (the kind of stuff used to fill gaps between dors and walls and the like) which can be used to protect the components in transit (if I remember correctly, some PC manufacturers are using it when they ship their PCs).