Crashing when I leave the computer on

Firstly I'm giving specs so you can keep this in mind while you read the post.

System Specs-

OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

GPU- EVGA Geforce GTX FTW 670 4gb

CPU- Intel i5 4440

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK Black Edition

16 GB of PNY Anarchy DDR3 ram @1866Mhz

Drives-

Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD(Boot Drive)

Seagate 1TB Hard Drive(Sata III)(A couple of games are on here)

Western Digital 640GB Hard Drive(Sata II)(File backup for photos and artwork)

RaidMax 530W PSU.

So for a good long while I have had an infuriating issue where I walk away from the computer to go do something, it sometimes freezes or crashes. Freeze as in absolutely zero response to inputs and it is just still, but the computer is for the most part visually how I left it; and crashes as in two out of the three monitors go black and the main one is as I left it. Up until recently I have not gotten BSOD error screens, but now I have them after switching my auxiliary monitors to my IGPU. The error I get now points to my graphics card. "VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)" which from what I gather relates to the graphics card. However, I did not get this error when the card was in my other computer. I have zero Idea of how to fix this problem, and it's so weird in that it only happens when I walk away from the computer when it is running idle or just chrome with a paused video and not instances where a GPU problem is expected, like running a game or benchmark. It does this, even without any overclock on the card.

I've followed a couple of threads on places like Tom's Hardware and 10 Forums and it just confuses me. I can deal with a great variety of PC problems until it's my computer that has a problem. Go figure. And poster one suggested the OP of the thread on 10 forums to do sfc /scannow and they did not find corrupt files, but I gave it a shot and the command prompt spat out that I had corrupt files and it was unable to fix some of them. I'll include the CBS.log file if that will help. Now I am curious if that happens to be my issue because no matter what driver version I use, I still have the problem on this computer. My old computer which held this card didn't have the problem(specs on request), so I doubt it is the card itself, it has something to do with this specific machine/card combo. Perhaps there is a conflict with some of the on-board hardware or the OS has some backwards files somewhere. Either way, I need some help because this issue has been plaguing me for half a year now and I'm just about to flatten my nose from all the facedesking this is causing me to do.

There is a lot more I have tried but recalling all of what I have done over the past months is going to be a bit of a challenge but I'll try to remember in future postings if it is relevant.

CBS.log

This is a strange one... Have you tried reinstalling GPU drivers? I never heard that computer can freeze just by being idle. I think it must be something wrong deep inside or a simple thing like drivers. Now I looked through the CBS.log and I saw some AMD drivers (?) uninstalling. (Probably you were uninstalling them, if not, umm... a nice disc format will do). Again I don't see any suspicious things exept them AMD drivers. That is all I can do for now. (now=5 minutes of thinking). If you have any questions, write them down, and I will try my best to answer them. Peace! (also forgive me for my bad english, it's not my first language :/ )

Does computer freeze/hangs when you are running any Games or any other Software ?

Did you try to put some load on CPU and GPU by running some Game at Ultra settings ? 

Did you try to Restore you Computer at some previous restore point (Note:- this will delete al data which was created after that Restore point) If not try to restore it to some other point . 

Does it hangs in Safe mode also ? 

Please try to Install fresh copy of OS on some other HDD and run it just to check if its OS/drivers issue or not . Also if possible try to swap your GPU with some other GPU just to make sure its not some Hardware fault . 

I have done reinstalls of drivers many times. AMD Drivers? I've never had a radeon card in this PC. The previous card was a 760 Ti and I have used DDU to uninstall drivers when switching cards and as far as I'm aware it deals with any leftover bits of other graphics drivers too. I don't even think I have visited anywhere close to downloading the AMD drivers.

Just now, Abhiwar said:

Does computer freeze/hangs when you are running any Games or any other Software ?

Did you try to put some load on CPU and GPU by running some Game at Ultra settings ? 

Did you try to Restore you Computer at some previous restore point (Note:- this will delete al data which was created after that Restore point) If not try to restore it to some other point . 

Does it hangs in Safe mode also ? 

Please try to Install fresh copy of OS on some other HDD and run it just to check if its OS/drivers issue or not . Also if possible try to swap your GPU with some other GPU just to make sure its not some Hardware fault . 

It has done hangs during Overwatch a couple times but that was months ago and that was solved by toying with device manager. Otherwise it only does it in idle or close to idle.

I have done stress tests with Unigine and no crash there either and even with an unstable overclock, the drivers crash but the computer itself doesn't and it makes a recovery. Maybe Might do furmark and Aida later but I will likely come to the same results.

Never done restore points on this PC but it is unlikely to do anything since this has been a problem for a VERY long time and only happens with this particular card. It would be impossible for me to go that far back to the point I switched cards.. That said, I have not had the 760 that long in this PC under my normal habits but that did not seem to do any hangs.

Never let it sit in Safe Mode but I might try it.

As for putting a fresh OS on another Drive is a problem since that requires a spare drive and that will be hard to do since I would need a spare sata drive.

may be you can download Ubuntu or Fedora23 and use their live CD feature for a while just to rule out any hardware issues . I think its more to do with your CPU or Memory at at idle GPU is doing anything , I mean GPU is actually sitting at IDLE where as may be some process is keeping you CPU busy or some background program messing up your system.  Have you tried perfmon ? to monitor your CPU/GPU and Memory uses at idle . 

Just open perfmon and  basically monitor your system uses at idle. Another option is to disable power saver mode and change it to Performance Mode (this way OS will disable all sleep mode options ) so basically it wont try to switch off your display or log off your computer . 

I am suggesting above because your PC is freezing when its sitting idle for a while  which means (might be) when OS is trying to put it into sleep mode something dosent work and it hangs completely 

Basically what is happening is that your display driver has stopped responding and have been restored or atleast Windows think its restored. However, it hasn't been restored. I haven't been able to figure out which fix, fix it, but I had it, now I don't.

1. Give your GPU more processing time through the registry 

Spoiler
  1. Exit all Windows based programs.
  2. Click Start, type regedit in the Search box, and then double-click regedit.exe from the results above. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Browse to and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
  4. On the Edit menu, click New, and then select the following registry value from the drop-down menu specific to your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit):

For 32 bit Windows
    1. Select DWORD (32-bit) value.
    2. Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
    3. Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and click OK.

For 64 bit Windows 

1. Select QWORD (64-bit) value.
    3. Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and clickOK.
  5. Close the registry editor and then restart your computer for the changes to take affect.

2. Change the Power Management mode to "Prefer maximum performance"

One of these worked for me when I had the exact same problem, however mine never bluescreen'd

I really hope this help :)

Edit: After reading your post one more time, we don't have the exactly same symptoms. But I still do suspect that either of these 2 fixes will help you out. Also, before I tried these 2 fixed I ended up reinstalling windows and formatting my boot drive, but that did not help me, so I wouldn't bother to try that before you attempt these two.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

Quote'd myself instead of edit... Delete this :)

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

Is it only happening when you leave it on idle and walk away? if so it could be that your pc is trying to lock itself or turn off your monitors. make sure monitor turn off is set to never in power plan options. If that is not it them my simple solution is to turn on kboost in precisionx which will force your gpu to run at its full speed constantly. 

17 hours ago, Clonzoo said:

Basically what is happening is that your display driver has stopped responding and have been restored or atleast Windows think its restored. However, it hasn't been restored. I haven't been able to figure out which fix, fix it, but I had it, now I don't.

1. Give your GPU more processing time through the registry 

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Exit all Windows based programs.
  2. Click Start, type regedit in the Search box, and then double-click regedit.exe from the results above. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Browse to and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
  4. On the Edit menu, click New, and then select the following registry value from the drop-down menu specific to your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit):

For 32 bit Windows
    1. Select DWORD (32-bit) value.
    3. Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and click OK.

For 64 bit Windows 

1. Select QWORD (64-bit) value.
    3. Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and clickOK.
  5. Close the registry editor and then restart your computer for the changes to take affect.

2. Change the Power Management mode to "Prefer maximum performance"

One of these worked for me when I had the exact same problem, however mine never bluescreen'd

I really hope this help :)

Edit: After reading your post one more time, we don't have the exactly same symptoms. But I still do suspect that either of these 2 fixes will help you out. Also, before I tried these 2 fixed I ended up reinstalling windows and formatting my boot drive, but that did not help me, so I wouldn't bother to try that before you attempt these two.

So I tried option #1 today because I've already done #2 before quite often and after that, I left the PC sitting while I went for a shit and a shower. So together, about forty minutes to one hour of leaving it sit and it did not crash when I came back. This is WAY too early to tell if this is totally fixed, but so far I'm pleased with the initial result. If this does not work, I'll be sure to come back.

Make sure to keep me posted. Crossing my fingers for you :)