Where/Which 1060 should I get?

sazrocks

Never bought a Graphics card before, so I'm wondering where(Newegg, Amazon, etc.)/which 1060 should I get? I'm planning on trying to grab one tomorrow, as long as they are close to MSRP.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

4 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Never bought a Graphics card before, so I'm wondering where(Newegg, Amazon, etc.)/which 1060 should I get? I'm planning on trying to grab one tomorrow, as long as they are close to MSRP.

Wait for AIB cards, if you're dead set on the 1060. Alternatively get an RX 480 and save yourself some money or wait for those AIB cards, they'll likely come sooner than 1060 AIB cards.

I should add, is that they likely won't be that close to MRSP on day 1 or at least a week.

Edited by wcreek
hummm

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

The 1060 launches tomorrow, along with the custom cards. EVGA is an excellent brand so that is my suggestion.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

The 1060 launches tomorrow, along with the custom cards. EVGA is an excellent brand so that is my suggestion.

Yes, but how easy will it be to get your hands on one at all, let alone at MSRP?

I'm kind of resigned to waiting until the fall for a card. My 960 isn't exactly stellar at this point, but with the 480 more or less a bust (unless AIB cards save it) and the 1070 still trollfacing the MSRP, I'm thinking it might just be worth it to wait for the sales when card shopping, maybe even snap up a 980 Ti if the right deal comes along. The 1060 could change my mind, but again, NVIDIA's board partners have gouged prices so badly in this round that a Pascal card isn't even in play for me right now.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

10 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Yes, but how easy will it be to get your hands on one at all, let alone at MSRP?

Agreed. Day 1, it's not going to be very cheap.

10 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I'm kind of resigned to waiting until the fall for a card. My 960 isn't exactly stellar at this point, but with the 480 more or less a bust (unless AIB cards save it) and the 1070 still trollfacing the MSRP, I'm thinking it might just be worth it to wait for the sales when card shopping, maybe even snap up a 980 Ti if the right deal comes along. The 1060 could change my mind, but again, NVIDIA's board partners have gouged prices so badly in this round that a Pascal card isn't even in play for me right now.

I'm looking at the fall to buy the parts for my build. I'm going with an RX 480 but I can't see how the 480 is a bust. Drivers have fixed the power draw issue and fixed the bad frame times in games like GTA V. It's a solid 1080p card.  I think part of the reason AIBs for the 480 have been delayed was the power draw issue from the PCIe slot. Is that AIBs wanted to be sure that their card won't cause mobos to fry or computers to start on fire because of cheap PSUs and possibly mobos so they have probably been making sure that their power delivery and what not will be fine. Though I will admit that the launch of Polaris has been less than pleasing considering the long waiting times because people who just want a GPU and maybe don't care about AIBs have had a hard time finding 480s. But Polaris seems to be slow too but that could be in part due to price.

But yeah, I'm not sure why OP would think that the 1060 will exactly be cheap on day one and for the first few weeks to maybe even month or so. I'm not sure if AIB cards will be launching on the same day. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

If the 1060 follows the price marks of the 1070/1080, it might take more than a week for it to get to MSRP, and that's for the base model, which in my opinion isnt even worth it. Wait for the aftermarket 1060's to go down to MSRP, then it should be extremely worth it.

20 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The ZOTAC is 260us and goes on sale tomorrow, so rather than looking for the worst you should check them out.

I'm pretty new to buying graphics cards too and I was looking mainly at the 1060. So how I am understanding it is I should forgo tomorrows release to grab a card for a better deal later?

19 minutes ago, shawn_the_cow said:

I'm pretty new to buying graphics cards too and I was looking mainly at the 1060. So how I am understanding it is I should forgo tomorrows release to grab a card for a better deal later?

No, people are equating the release of high end cards with mid range cards. The prices as long as you stick to a major retailer will be fine. People see jacked up prices on Amazon and freak out...