Opening old power supply's

Clanscorpia

To salvage some components for some projects I'd like to open up some unused PSU's I have lying around. Is it safe? The PSU's haven't been used for months so I believe they have no charge. Thanks!

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

To salvage some components for some projects I'd like to open up some unused PSU's I have lying around. Is it safe? The PSU's haven't been used for months so I believe they have no charge. Thanks!

if you knwo what your doing yeah, I have opened several psus and changed theyre capacitors, just make sure they are not charged

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Some wisdom I've seen says to wait a week or so for the charge to dissipate. A few months definitely sounds safe to me, but I would prod it with a multimeter after opening it just to be on the safe side.

When in doubt, re-format.

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

If they haven't been recently plugged in your good, if they have leave it for at least a few hours before opening to ensure the capacitors have drained. 

4 minutes ago, mikat said:

what components could you want from the psus?

and were the psus physically disconnected?

Yes, they are physically disconnected. And capacitors

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Yes, they are physically disconnected. And capacitors

your fine then

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

1 minute ago, mikat said:

hmm yeah, but i'd still check with a voltmeter :)

What if you dont have one?

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

What if you dont have one?

One would assume that if you are harvesting caps, that you would have access to a multimeter...

When in doubt, re-format.

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

One would assume that if you are harvesting caps, that you would have access to a multimeter...

I want to make an FM transmitter for fun, Im planning on getting one soon

Spoiler

AXIOM