How to overclock an MSI R9 380 4 GB GDDR5?

How do i even start to begin with at all.. Mostly zero experience with overclocking exept some friends fried their laptops while on the school.

Or else i havent really overclocked anything at all.

How do i even begin to overclock something and not frying the pc entirely?

So many questions..

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Get MSI Afterburner and try to get a stable clock with a normal temp (80c-85c is the maximum but you can go for 90c but i dont recommend it)

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

Just use the AMD overdrive on the Crimson driver, just put the clock up until it remains stable, and increase the power control, there are no way to frie a GPU like that, unless you are changing the voltage of the core, but most cards dont even support it.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Currently i just found something called "MSI | Intel(r) Extreme Tuning Utility" and it seems quite interesting..

Picture:

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

4 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Currently i just found something called "MSI | Intel(r) Extreme Tuning Utility" and it seems quite interesting..

Picture:

That's for CPU mostly. If you want to overclock the GPU, download MSI Afterburner.

7 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

That's for CPU mostly. If you want to overclock the GPU, download MSI Afterburner.

I'll try, as long as i just kills my cpu and increase fps on some games like Rust/World of tanks im happy x)

24 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

How do i even start to begin with at all.. Mostly zero experience with overclocking exept some friends fried their laptops while on the school.

Or else i havent really overclocked anything at all.

How do i even begin to overclock something and not frying the pc entirely?

So many questions..

really is no point of overclocking amd gpus... they wont go far.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

3 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

really is no point of overclocking amd gpus... they wont go far.

Just found out this.. and im kinda afraid and at the same time exited.. Ive known it for decades, but ive already seen 1 main pc of a friend go up in flames, 4 laptops dying while smoking the classrooms and 2 laptops dying because the gpu inside the laptops shut down completely x)

Overclocking laptops is dangerous, desktop hardware is another story because you can have far better cooling.

And don't listen to the fanboy, overclocking an AMD card is perfectly viable.

3 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Overclocking laptops is dangerous, desktop hardware is another story because you can have far better cooling.

Listening to anyone wont do anything but laughing.. but seeing the MSI Afterburner im kinda scared atm x)

10 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Just found out this.. and im kinda afraid and at the same time exited.. Ive known it for decades, but ive already seen 1 main pc of a friend go up in flames, 4 laptops dying while smoking the classrooms and 2 laptops dying because the gpu inside the laptops shut down completely x)

well, if you research into it, you'll be fine. as long as you don't push voltages too far or start putting in random values.

6 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

LOL "fanboy" hahahha! @ me though. its true, AMD gpu's are terrible at overclocking. im not saying you can't but you're perfectly fine to overclock it but don't be surprised if you only get +25mhz on the core :| 

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

4 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

well, if you research into it, you'll be fine. as long as you don't push voltages too far or start putting in random values.

LOL "fanboy" hahahha! @ me though. its true, AMD gpu's are terrible at overclocking. im not saying you can't but you're perfectly fine to overclock it but don't be surprised if you only get +25mhz on the core :| 

Voltages? 

4 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Voltages? 

the core voltage slider in MSI Afterburner at the top...

Old Rig

4 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

the core voltage slider in MSI Afterburner at the top...

The feeling when u have no idea what to do with the software x)

what.png

24 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

Nonsense. That's completely ridiculous, of course you can get more than 25 MHz in the vast majority of cases. My card's overclocked by 153 MHz without even adjusting voltage. And it's worth noting that you generally get significantly more performance per MHz with an AMD card than an Nvidia card.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Nonsense. That's completely ridiculous, of course you can get more than 25 MHz in the vast majority of cases. My card's overclocked by 153 MHz without even adjusting voltage. And it's worth noting that you generally get significantly more performance per MHz with an AMD card than an Nvidia card.

well duh... you get more performance per MHz because they're cheaper :/

Old Rig

24 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

The feeling when u have no idea what to do with the software x)

The core clock, where it says 980, you'd type in maybe 985 or 990, then hit apply on the lower right side. Then test stability with a benchmark - usually I just run Unigine Valley alongside MSI Afterburner while overclocking. Then if that setting looks stable (no visual artifacts or error messages etc), you dial the clocks up another step. Eventually you hit a point where it isn't stable, then you can dial it back a little. Then repeat the process for the memory clock. Keep an eye on temperatures along the way (don't go past maybe 85C).

In addition to this, it's a good idea to increase the power limit, usually just to the maximum.

The last thing you can do is increase voltage, though that setting needs to be enabled in MSI Afterburner, and is disabled on some cards. Higher voltage will (normally) allow you to push the core clock higher. But it increases power consumption and the card will run hotter.

7 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

well duh... you get more performance per MHz because they're cheaper :/

What? That makes no sense.

9 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

My Radeon cards have never overclocked that well, not when compared to Nvidia anyways. Never got over 100MHz, ever.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

My Radeon cards have never overclocked that well, not when compared to Nvidia anyways. Never got over 100MHz, ever.

Random luck of the draw is a factor, plus each MHz usually means more on AMD cards. You should compare percentage overclock instead of MHz. Still, current Nvidia cards do generally overclock very well. That doesn't mean it's not worth overclocking AMD cards though.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

Random luck of the draw is a factor, plus each MHz usually means more on AMD cards. You should compare percentage overclock instead of MHz. Still, current Nvidia cards do generally overclock very well. That doesn't mean it's not worth overclocking AMD cards though.

Totally agree, AMD scales way better than Nvidia when overclocking.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 hours ago, Sakkura said:

The core clock, where it says 980, you'd type in maybe 985 or 990, then hit apply on the lower right side. Then test stability with a benchmark - usually I just run Unigine Valley alongside MSI Afterburner while overclocking. Then if that setting looks stable (no visual artifacts or error messages etc), you dial the clocks up another step. Eventually you hit a point where it isn't stable, then you can dial it back a little. Then repeat the process for the memory clock. Keep an eye on temperatures along the way (don't go past maybe 85C).

In addition to this, it's a good idea to increase the power limit, usually just to the maximum.

The last thing you can do is increase voltage, though that setting needs to be enabled in MSI Afterburner, and is disabled on some cards. Higher voltage will (normally) allow you to push the core clock higher. But it increases power consumption and the card will run hotter.

What? That makes no sense.

"Test stability" ?

Ive got no clue what to test or check my ... wait.. I think i know CPU-ID could check CPU, CPU and everything with the pc..

But unless i get so specific instructions that it looks stupid i wont be able to do anything because im too afraid to kill anything with my pc, talked about this some months ago with my uncle (IT expert) and he just said i should stay out of it.. But now im too curious x)

Also, found this toturial but i tried chaning my fan speed to 55% as shown in the video, and i can hear it clear.. its not noisy.. just clear..

When its 30-35 its alot more silent, cant possibly dear to put it to 70-80 >_>

Vid; (Stopped watching due to fear of killing gpu >_<)

• 1 month later...
On 07/18/2016 at 4:23 PM, MultiGamerClub said:

Also, found this toturial but i tried chaning my fan speed to 55% as shown in the video, and i can hear it clear.. its not noisy.. just clear..

When its 30-35 its alot more silent, cant possibly dear to put it to 70-80 >_>

Vid; (Stopped watching due to fear of killing gpu >_<)

I overclocked my 380 as well. For at OC ever. You won't fry it. I used Kombustor to test my GPU. I overclock ed to 1100, slight change in voltage (+5), and my FPS has increased, and can handle ultra in most of my game now. I don't have heat issues.

Create a fan profile. I use 25% default, 50% at 45 degrees, 80 at 60 degrees and 100 at 70. It never gets close to 60.

Play and round with it, you'll be fine. I plan on more OC when I have time to and rounding down  for more than 10 minutes.

I love my 380.