GPU Setup for 1440p vs 4k, Advice Needed

Greeting all,

So I am planning to upgrade my current monitor setup from a single 1080p IPS 60Hz panel to either:

(a) 2 x 1440p IPS Panels

(b) 1 x 4k MVA Panel

(c) 1 x 4k IPS Panel

I am upgrading due to the fact that a single 1080p display is not enough real-estate for my programming and other productivity.

Do consider that my current CPU and GPU setup is the i5 6600k and the R9 390 Nitro from Sapphire; therefore, if I were to go 4k, I would need to upgrade my GPU setup for gaming, whereas the 390 is good enough at 1440p.

So, I see my options as:

Option 1: Go for 2 x 1440p IPS panels, stick with the R9 390

Option 2: Go for 1 x 4k panel and sell the 390 to buy a better card (if so, which?)

Option 3: Go for 1 x 4k panel and buy a second 390 for crossfire.

Please let me know your opinion on the matter, I do have a budget of roughly £600-ish, but that is flexible (within reason).

Many thanks!

-Cameron

To ensure I see your reply, quote my post.

Got any questions? Send me a message.

Personally, I would probably go for the 2x 1440p option.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

Personally, I would probably go for the 2x 1440p option.

Okay, thanks! One question: why that over 4k? (just curious)

4k and 1440p are both great for productivity

the problem is that 4k is too hard to run on lower budgets

i'd go with the 2 1440p or try getting a nice 34" WQHD IPS panel

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

6 minutes ago, Cameronazzi said:

Id go for 2x 1440p displays,mainly because 4k is can i say it this way "unstable" for the moment and in real world gaming you would not notice a difference unless you take a 1440p picture and a 4k picture and look at them closely

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

8 minutes ago, Cameronazzi said:

Scaling in Windows and programs isn't really up to where I would want it to be to be to have everything consistently legible. The pixel density is nice, but I think 1440p is good enough, especially for the work that I do (Photoshop and the like). I've also got a similar card (390x), and I wouldn't have to spend more money GPU wise. 

My next monitor upgrade is most likely going to be a one of those neat 21:9 monitors.

7 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Scaling in Windows and programs isn't really up to where I would want it to be to be to have everything consistently legible. The pixel density is nice, but I think 1440p is good enough, especially for the work that I do (Photoshop and the like). I've also got a similar card (390x), and I wouldn't have to spend more money GPU wise. 

My next monitor upgrade is most likely going to be a one of those neat 21:9 monitors.

Regarding scaling, what about on a bigger display? Like 40", where the pixel density is lower anyway?
I am leaning towards the 2 x 1440p at the minute though!

2x 1440 and a gtx 1080

i7 6700k  ·  Asus Z170 - A  · MSI GTX 1080 FE  ·  32gb HyperX 2133  ·  2tb Toshiba 7200 Red  ·   120gb Sandisk SSD  ·   480gb Sandisk SSD  ·  Fractal Design Define S  ·  BenQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440 Freesync

2 minutes ago, latentjones said:

2x 1440 and a gtx 1080

Haha, and how does that fit (a) my budget (b) my options?

11 minutes ago, Dresta said:

Id go for 2x 1440p displays,mainly because 4k is can i say it this way "unstable" for the moment and in real world gaming you would not notice a difference unless you take a 1440p picture and a 4k picture and look at them closely

What about on a big 40" panel though? Where it's more like 4 separate 20" 1080p panels? That's gonna be a similar pixel density.

I totally agree with your points about gaming though

2 minutes ago, Cameronazzi said:

Haha, and how does that fit (a) my budget (b) my options?

Easily doubles your budget but can you put a price on happiness?

i7 6700k  ·  Asus Z170 - A  · MSI GTX 1080 FE  ·  32gb HyperX 2133  ·  2tb Toshiba 7200 Red  ·   120gb Sandisk SSD  ·   480gb Sandisk SSD  ·  Fractal Design Define S  ·  BenQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440 Freesync

1 minute ago, Cameronazzi said:

Regarding scaling, what about on a bigger display? Like 40", where the pixel density is lower anyway?
I am leaning towards the 2 x 1440p at the minute though!

Funnily enough, I actually have a 42" 3840x2160 television that I hook my machine up to when I'm bored. At say, 200+% scaling in windows, most of the windows elements look fine, but every so often programs will scale but their associated UI elements had some issues. I had to increase the scaling value to a fairly high one because I was sitting farther away from the TV. 

2 minutes ago, latentjones said:

Easily doubles your budget but can you put a price on happiness?

doubles his budget? where did it say that? yes you CAN put a price tag on happiness in this case,its like saying "Why buy a cheap golf car for $20000 when you can buy a buggati for $4m? i mean you cant put a price tag on happiness"

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

4 minutes ago, Dresta said:

doubles his budget? where did it say that? yes you CAN put a price tag on happiness in this case,its like saying "Why buy a cheap golf car for $20000 when you can buy a buggati for $4m? i mean you cant put a price tag on happiness"

Woah there fella, chill. I was facetiously suggesting he should buy a GTX 1080 and 2 x 1440 monitors as that's what would run them best. He stated earlier that his budget is £600 with potential room for manoeuvre...

1440 monitor roughly £250-600

GTX 1080 £590-750+

Easily double his budget.

As for putting a price on happiness. It was a joke.

Obviously not that funny.

I think 1440 is the sweet spot right now, in a year maybe 4k will be a better option but for now 1440 is the shit. Buy the time graphics cards make 4k a viable option we'll have better 4k monitors so I'd go 1440.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

i would keep the 1080p monitor for the secondary display and i would order a 2560x1440 gaming monitor for main.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

36 minutes ago, latentjones said:

Woah there fella, chill. I was facetiously suggesting he should buy a GTX 1080 and 2 x 1440 monitors as that's what would run them best. He stated earlier that his budget is £600 with potential room for manoeuvre...

1440 monitor roughly £250-600

GTX 1080 £590-750+

Easily double his budget.

As for putting a price on happiness. It was a joke.

Obviously not that funny.

Don't worry man, some of us got the joke! Thanks regardless, ignore them :P