Upgrading Network

desertcomputer

Installing multiple IP camera in house and i don't think our bandwidth with our current 2.4ghz wifi is enough (WNDR4700) due to the fact it has some occasional dead spot in the house when multiple user is using the wifi. Planing either use new access point or old router as access point for the IP cameras. Doing Ethernet around the house is not options as only me apart from another person has computer that require Ethernet but would be another project for later. Another reason for the WIFI upgrade is our Chromecast get choppy connection plex playing 1080p movie playback from CUSTOM built NAS if another use is using the network (not plex). I know the option is kinda over kill for any home networking but, i want a product that will last me well in future as i don't think NBN will ever go pass 1GBPS soon at affordable price anything soon. Any suggestion is welcomed :)

My internet speed:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5476124351

Options: 

Access Point: Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC PRO 802.11ac

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 5-Port or Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite 3

Magical Pineapples

8 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Doing Ethernet around the house is not options as only me apart from another person has computer that require Ethernet but would be another project for later.

Having a computer that connects to the network via wireless or cable makes no difference in how you connect the IP cams. I understand that you may not want to run tons of cable around the house but don't let the fact that you only have one or 2 computers using wire be the reason that you don't set it up "properly."

As far as the issue you are having, most consumer routers aren't great at handling many concurrent high bandwidth connections that well. An enterprise access point would be a better solution, but also a costly one. (such as the ubiquiti's you mentioned.) Since my XP with these is limited, I cannot recommend one over the other.

When in doubt, re-format.

3 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Having a computer that connects to the network via wireless or cable makes no difference in how you connect the IP cams. I understand that you may not want to run tons of cable around the house but don't let the fact that you only have one or 2 computers using wire be the reason that you don't set it up "properly."

As far as the issue you are having, most consumer routers aren't great at handling many concurrent high bandwidth connections that well. An enterprise access point would be a better solution, but also a costly one. (such as the ubiquiti's you mentioned.) Since my XP with these is limited, I cannot recommend one over the other.

Wireless make a difference ... my current router has dead spots in placed where i want to place my IP cams so either way i have upgrade our wireless. The reason no Ethernet is wire up is location of this desktop is near proximity of each other like right next room and running cable through the wall is easy. The reason is because only two people use wire is rest of house is their phones/laptops and their not tech savy and their don't complain so i never need the chance wiring the house. 

Magical Pineapples

You'll obviously need a router that can handle many connections at high bandwidth at the same time.

Something that features dynamic load balancing would probably help as well.

I understand your issue with dead spots, but you may be stuck even with the better router.

I would personally consider running your main router and another as a wireless AP trunked back to the first one to help lighten the wireless load.

I would also consider giving top priority to the IP cameras MACs as well as QoSing the network to make sure that the protocols that the cameras are using to communicate (I would assume SIP) have top priority on the network.

There's a few things to consider.

To better help though, I figure we all need to know the following:

How many IP Camreas are you connecting:

How many clients are connecting to the network wirelessly:

Location of all of these devices:

Bitrate cameras are recording at:

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME