mapping network problems

So what i want to do is map a drive on my desktop to my laptop computer i have done all the check of boxes that i can find to allow all the networking possible i am on the same wifi connection and i have tried unchecking IPV6 i can ping the laptop and the laptop can ping me but my desktop wont appear on the network and the other devices wont see my computer i have tried using the exact network drive address given but it doesnt work i am assuming it must be because i am not connected to the network but i cant get it to connect my laptop is able to connect to the network but my desktop cant even on the same wifi ssid and with internet connection i have tried troubleshooting but it didnt come back with anything any suggestions would be welcome!!

problem.PNG

Your computers must all be part of the same group to see each other and have different names. Cannot have 2 different computers name BOB, then they will fight each other over that name. To see each other, go open up network and click on the drop down yellow bar, it should do it automatically for you. If that fails, then disable home group and manage it the traditional way, by having all computers be part of WorkGroup. Then share the drive or folders you want. When all computers can see each other, then go to my computer to map a network drive. Once it's done, do a shortcut to your desktop. And it's a lot easier to do, when you have password on the accounts.

map.JPG

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Is your desktop on the same LAN? ethernet to the router or using the same router as the laptop? 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

You may be trying to do one thing when there is already another way of achieving the same result.

There is no indication of what machine you have or operating system that is installed on it in your profile (or in this post), please be more specific to get more detailed explanations from other forum members. The theory is if you do not care to share then for what reason would the other webians care to do this.

What I would suggest it is you do, is to create a Homegroup so that you will be able to share files and printers within you own home LAN (local area network). Obviously, each machine will need to be on when you want to pass a file between them.

One machine creates the HomeGroup and any others that need to cross-communicate use a pass-code and join that network.

You can leave the network if you have joined it but if the machine that creates the group leaves, it can cause HomeGroup issues. Overcome by simply recreating the HomeGroup on the machine again and linking the devices again with the shared key.

The basic instructions are:

Open HomeGroup by typing homegroup in the search box on the taskbar, and then selecting HomeGroup.
Select Create a homegroup > Next.
Select the libraries and devices you want to share with the homegroup, and then select Next
A password will appear—print it or write it down. You’ll need this password to add other PCs to your homegroup.
Select Finish.

Further sharing for printers and other steps with permissions (for Windows versions 10, 8.1, RT 8.1, and 7)

You can also allow other devices to share these content libraries, such as smart TVs, set-top boxes (Australia) and game consoles (not sure if this is Xbox only).

Hope this helps

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).