lower framerates + freesync versus higher framerates

suyac

Hi everybody,

I just bought a new monitor during prime day, it s the BenQ XL2730Z.

It is a qwhd 144hz freesync monitor.

At the moment I'm using a strix 960 and that is not enough to play games at the native resolution.

So after some research I need to decide between a rx480 8gb or a used gtx 980 (both ~270 euro).

I will wait of course for the 1060 launch but I highly doubt that the 1060 can compete with a used 980 (price / performence).

So the question is what do you think will be better :

Higher framerates with the 980 or lower framerates and freesync with the rx480 ?

Does 60fps and freesync feels better than 100fps  no freesync ?

Thanks !

Well, I would go with a 480 over a 980 at the same price as the 480 will more than likely outperform the 980 over time (especially in DX12) titles. So....my vote goes for the 480/1060. 

Also, from what I've heard lower, but variable, refresh rates is better than higher refresh rates (assuming the two will be somewhat close to eachother -- which they will since the 980 isn't THAT much faster than a 480).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

More FPS is always better, FreeSync just removes this Screen tearing without adding a delay that VSync did/does.

So if you don't mind the screen tearing or the delay that VSync has then go with a 980.
If you do mind this on the other hand, go for the RX480. This will result in a lower fps so its hard to say.

980 is Higher FPS with delay or tearing, though it can make you react faster in games.
FreeSync allows for no delay nor tearing but as everybody knows, the RX480 doesn't have the raw power a 980 has to push such frames in higher end games.
For CS:GO going with FreeSync would be better.
Playing Call of Duty: AW or BO:3 would be better with a 980 for instance.

With a Freesync monitor you want to go with a Radeon graphics card if possible. I'd wait and see how well the Nitro RX 480 performs.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, tv15dsi said:

More FPS is always better, FreeSync just removes this Screen tearing without adding a delay that VSync did/does.

So if you don't mind the screen tearing or the delay that VSync has then go with a 980.
If you do mind this on the other hand, go for the RX480. This will result in a lower fps so its hard to say.

980 is Higher FPS with delay or tearing, though it can make you react faster in games.
FreeSync allows for no delay nor tearing but as everybody knows, the RX480 doesn't have the raw power a 980 has to push such frames in higher end games.
For CS:GO going with FreeSync would be better.
Playing Call of Duty: AW or BO:3 would be better with a 980 for instance.

Freesync also makes gameplay seem smoother as it's less stuttery (watch Linus' original video on Gsync). It's not just tearing that it solves. 

In CSGO it wouldn't matter either way since both cards will EASILY push like 400FPS (so cap that at 144fps, and it won't matter). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Freesync also makes gameplay seem smoother as it's less stuttery (watch Linus' original video on Gsync). It's not just tearing that it solves. 

In CSGO it wouldn't matter either way since both cards will EASILY push like 400FPS (so cap that at 144fps, and it won't matter). 

That still gives tearing though :Þ If I cap a game at 144 fps I will still see a bit of tearing because of the source engine :Þ

2 minutes ago, tv15dsi said:

That still gives tearing though :Þ If I cap a game at 144 fps I will still see a bit of tearing because of the source engine :Þ

No, not with GSYNC or Freesync. I hit the cap all the time and never encounter tearing.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

No, not with GSYNC or Freesync. I hit the cap all the time and never encounter tearing.

I was talking about the 980 without GSYNC :Þ

1 minute ago, tv15dsi said:

I was talking about the 980 without GSYNC :Þ

Oh, then yeah that's why I said with a Freesync monitor you go Radeon xD 

Go for the RX 480, the fps might be a little lower but you will likely find 45 fps an acceptable low with variable refresh instead of 60 fps, it will likely allow better graphics than a 980 with that monitor.

Thanks for all the good feedback. 

As long as the custom rx 480 will be reasonably priced I will try to get one.