is my isp limiting youtube's connection speed,or is it youtube's fault?

McHox

hey, i have a 50Mbit/s plan and i am mostly getting all of it(sometimes even more,e.g. 7 Mb/s in steam).

for a few day i can't really watch yt videos in 1080p without buffering every 2 seconds and i'm getting about 1230 Kbps(from the video stats) from youtube.
is youtube as slow as this for anyone else? could this be my isp(deutsche telekom) limiting the speed from youtube? 

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Have you tried running this test:

https://www.battleforthenet.com/internethealthtest/

i didn't but the result is 6.93 Mbps,so no problem there

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

If you get a vpn, isps have a hard time trying to  throttle you as they have no clue telling weather you are watching youtube or not as a vpn sends one line of data to isps.

1 minute ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

If you get a vpn, isps have a hard time trying to  throttle you as they have no clue telling weather you are watching youtube or not as a vpn sends one line of data to isps.

but the free ones i know usually suck,and i don't want to pay for it

2 minutes ago, McHox said:

but the free ones i know usually suck,and i don't want to pay for it

tried tunnelbear yet, works a charm for me ;-)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

11 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Ugh, www.speedtest.net

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

I think it is YT because it is happening to me too. Currently investigating.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

2 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

tried tunnelbear yet, works a charm for me ;-)

ah, a fellow tunnelbear member 

*ignore this one,can't delete*

4 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Ugh, www.speedtest.net

5474781557.png

while watching netflix

3 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

ah, a fellow tunnelbear member 

tunnelbear is only 500mb? right? thats about an hour of 480p

Dendrotoxin

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4Ghz | GPU: Zotac AMP! 1070 @ 2GHz | RAM Crucial Balistix 2x4GB | PSU EVGA G2 750w | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 | Case Phanteks Eclipse P400s | Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170 | Storage: Toshiba 3TB HDD and MyDigitalSSD M.2 256GB

Perripherals

Keyboard(s) Razer Ornata Chroma, Razer Tartarus Chroma | Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum | Headphone: Audio Technica M40x | Monitor HP 22CWA

2 minutes ago, McHox said:

5474781557.png

while watching netflix

Could be youtube having some technical issues/doing updates. Are you watching old stuff/ does it occur on everything you watch? Nerver heard telekom throttles anything here.

3.Use

1 minute ago, VictorianReaper said:

yep,the free version at least.i think you get an extra 500 if you tweet about it

2 hours ago, VictorianReaper said:

I pay yearly and I assume he does to.

1 minute ago, McHox said:

yep,the free version at least.i think you get an extra 500 if you tweet about it

extra 1GB

3.Use

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Could be youtube having some technical issues/doing updates. Are you watching old stuff/ does it occur on everything you watch? Nerver heard telekom throttles anything here.

old/new stuff,on everything.and the telekom doesn't have the best reputation for this kinda stuff

5 minutes ago, McHox said:

old/new stuff,on everything.and the telekom doesn't have the best reputation for this kinda stuff

load this video directly from youtube at 1080p it should take 4-6 seconds

the video is 49 seconds even though its a 30 second timer

Dendrotoxin

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4Ghz | GPU: Zotac AMP! 1070 @ 2GHz | RAM Crucial Balistix 2x4GB | PSU EVGA G2 750w | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 | Case Phanteks Eclipse P400s | Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170 | Storage: Toshiba 3TB HDD and MyDigitalSSD M.2 256GB

Perripherals

Keyboard(s) Razer Ornata Chroma, Razer Tartarus Chroma | Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum | Headphone: Audio Technica M40x | Monitor HP 22CWA

2 minutes ago, VictorianReaper said:

load this video directly from youtube at 1080p it should take 4-6 seconds

the page itself took about 10 sec,video was buffering ~15 sec. before starting and the video loading took another ~10 sec.

Unfortunately a lot of ISP's tend to throttle Youtube/Streaming traffic, so the likes of Netflix get punished for their bandwidth absorption capabilities, unless you mask the traffic using a VPN it is fairly difficult to stop ;-(

Jr. Systems Administrator

*All my opinions are my own based on my Technical Experiences and Tech Reviews!

1 minute ago, MatthewsTech said:

Unfortunately a lot of ISP's tend to throttle Youtube/Streaming traffic, so the likes of Netflix get punished for their bandwidth absorption capabilities, unless you mask the traffic using a VPN it is fairly difficult to stop ;-(

netflix is as fast as it should be :( it's only youtube 

1 minute ago, McHox said:

netflix is as fast as it should be :( it's only youtube 

If you have buffering problems it may be worth checking the CPU usage etc of the browser as this negatively impacts the amount it can buffer, has it done this in the past or is this just suddenly effecting you? :(!

4 minutes ago, MatthewsTech said:

If you have buffering problems it may be worth checking the CPU usage etc of the browser as this negatively impacts the amount it can buffer, has it done this in the past or is this just suddenly effecting you? :(!

i guess that won't be a problem with my 4790k

Spoiler

28022303c8f9c425c50f045d9b71b62e.png

i only have this plan for 2 months and it started about 2 weeks ago

4 minutes ago, McHox said:

i guess that won't be a problem with my 4790k

Hide contents

28022303c8f9c425c50f045d9b71b62e.png

i only have this plan for 2 months and it started about 2 weeks ago

Fair enough! I'd say you're safe on usage terms; has the modem & or router been restarted since? I tend to find, oddly that VM in the UK tends to drop the speed of the connection / throttles it heavier based on how long the device has been on.

I would have presumed you have done this already as soon as you were aware of the issue, I would query Deutsche Telekom as to whether they are having any speed issues with the likes of Youtube as this could be down to peering issues, albeit unlikely!

40 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Are you sure that works?  We get anywhere from 20 to 25 Mbit and that's showing like 8 - 9

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.