R9 390 Heat

Hi Guys ! 

When I'm gaming my R9 390 becomes so hot that im getting alittle worried. Ive been using MSI Afterburner the last couple of days to monitor the heat of my GPU, and the temp goes all the way up to 94C when gaming! Wouldn't you consider this a serious issue? When the temps go as high as that I've kind of panicked and taken off the side panel to get some extra air in there. I've then touched the GPU (as stupid as i am) and its hot as hell!

I use two monitors, and when im inside the game thats when the temperatures rises so high, but when i click on MSI afterburner on my second monitor, the heat will typically immediately drop to around 70C. Isnt this strange, or what? When im just on desktop its somewhere in between 60-70 degrees. From what I've read on similar forums temperatures should be somewhere in the 80s at most. Earlier today i cleaned my pc with some compressed air and to be honest there wasnt too much to be cleaned. Ive been looking into overclocking both my CPU and GPU, but with these temperatures i get on my GPU that's hardly gonna be possible without watercooling or something ... What do you think i should do guys, is there anything i can do to reduce heat without spending money on expensive cooling? 

My build is

CPU: i5-4690k

GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8GB

Mobo: MSI Z97S-Krait Edition

Memory: 8GB HyperX Savage DDR3-2400

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB

PSU: XFX TS Bronze Series 650W 

Tower: NZXT S340

1. It can handle those temps.

2. Afterburner is probably using a more aggressive fan curve. The MSI cards use a silence optimized fan curve by default.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Set a custom fan profile in the Afterburner for your card. Find a good compromise between fan noise and temperature. You should be able to get the MSI R9 390 to sub-80's C without the card sounds like a hair dryer.

When you click on a seperate program on your second screen, the game on your first screen is then running in the background and will typically need less graphics power.
Don't ask me why. I guess it could be because Windows automatically enables V-Sync on your desktop.

Back to your graphics card tho.
I would open the card up and reapply the thermal paste. It can get quite hard if the card was sitting unused on a shelf for a longer time.

8 minutes ago, Deli said:

Set a custom fan profile in the Afterburner for your card. Find a good compromise between fan noise and temperature. You should be able to get the MSI R9 390 to sub-80's C without the card sounds like a hair dryer.

Thanks alot for your replies guys ! I'll definately try to make a fan profile, just gotta figure out how i do it properly so i get most out of it as possible, it is quite noisy when it hits those 80+ degrees ! 

5 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

When you click on a seperate program on your second screen, the game on your first screen is then running in the background and will typically need less graphics power.
Don't ask me why. I guess it could be because Windows automatically enables V-Sync on your desktop.

Back to your graphics card tho.
I would open the card up and reapply the thermal paste. It can get quite hard if the card was sitting unused on a shelf for a longer time.

I just wonder why its IMMEDIATELY a drop of 20 degrees i find that alittle strange but oh well.... 

I got the computer and built i myself back in November. Do you think the thermal paste already now will need to be changed?

10 minutes ago, elert said:

Thanks alot for your replies guys ! I'll definately try to make a fan profile, just gotta figure out how i do it properly so i get most out of it as possible, it is quite noisy when it hits those 80+ degrees ! 

I just wonder why its IMMEDIATELY a drop of 20 degrees i find that alittle strange but oh well.... 

I got the computer and built i myself back in November. Do you think the thermal paste already now will need to be changed?

Could be needed. Especially now that it is quite a bit warmer in the summer.
And the 390 could have been laying around half a year on a shelf at some retailer. You never know...

I had the r9 390x from MSI and had similar problems (94c after 5 min of witcher 3). what's your fan speed on normal fan curve? Mine ramp straight up to 100% without any oc + I've got a pretty optimal airflow. Oh and the thing sounded like a jet taking off inside my case :P Had to RMA it and hoping I'd never have to see that horrendous creature again. If you have the same problem as I do then I'd say RMA it! Yeah the r9 390 heats more and runs at higher temps but seeing it "literally" melting my fingernails isn't acceptable.

12 hours ago, MasterMustard said:

I had the r9 390x from MSI and had similar problems (94c after 5 min of witcher 3). what's your fan speed on normal fan curve? Mine ramp straight up to 100% without any oc + I've got a pretty optimal airflow. Oh and the thing sounded like a jet taking off inside my case :P Had to RMA it and hoping I'd never have to see that horrendous creature again. If you have the same problem as I do then I'd say RMA it! Yeah the r9 390 heats more and runs at higher temps but seeing it "literally" melting my fingernails isn't acceptable.

When gaming, mostly WoW, and ingame fanspeed runs at 78 with temps around 90C ! And as I wrote earlier when i click out of the game on my second monitor into the Afterburner window, the temps immediately drop to 70C and fan speed dropping into the 60s.... My computer is also super loud, its getting quite annoying ! If i touch the card i also burn my fingers :P

21 hours ago, elert said:

When gaming, mostly WoW, and ingame fanspeed runs at 78 with temps around 90C ! And as I wrote earlier when i click out of the game on my second monitor into the Afterburner window, the temps immediately drop to 70C and fan speed dropping into the 60s.... My computer is also super loud, its getting quite annoying ! If i touch the card i also burn my fingers :P

That shouldn't be normal. Well the drops from clicking afterburner is normal as you kinda put wow in the backround while clicking elsewhere :P 

My RMA was successful by the way and it was indeed faulty card!

I ditched my 390x and have a new cpu coming on the way instead! 

You should rma it too if you don't mind reapplying a new thermal compound but  that could break your warranty.

• 1 month later...

I have a 390 as well and have the same issue.  I see exclusively when I uncap my frame rates.  Once I start pushing more frames my temps shoot up to 94c.  The odd thing is i've tried lowing the quality to get those additional frames easier but it makes no difference still shoots to 94c.  This is mostly in Overwatch.  Don't really have a game that would push graphically than that.

I've done a bunch of troubleshooting and this with an RMA card I just got back too.  Really frustrating.  I'd think I could get 100+ frames at decent temps while running on "Low".  Even when i'm rocking the default settings which is Ultra, vsync, and display based FPS.   I drop frames fairly frequently.  Goes to ~40ish sometimes lower.

Any ideas outside of the typical troubleshooting?  I've done all the fan settings, thermal paste, rma, etc.  At this point I probably need to find another computer to test it in...

Ty,

FB