Do we need a switch in our network?

Carlos1010
Go to solution Solved by CostcoSamples,

Most of the time when you pay for internet service, the service provider will provide you with a router.  This router actually a multi function device that acts as a router, switch, modem, and wifi access point.  So no, you don't need a switch because you already have one.

So let's say that your alone in your house with no other computer to communicate with, is it necessarily for a switch? As far as I understand it's the thing that allows computers in the same network to communicate with eachother. So do I need one or not? Or is there something I don't understand? Thanks in advanced!

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

Its to allow more computers to connect. If you dont need more ethernet ports than your modem and/or router (a form of switch) provide you dont need one.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Most of the time when you pay for internet service, the service provider will provide you with a router.  This router actually a multi function device that acts as a router, switch, modem, and wifi access point.  So no, you don't need a switch because you already have one.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

2 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Unless you need more ethernet ports :P

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Unless you need more ethernet ports :P

Right.  I have a 16 port switch in my house because I wanted a wired connection for every device, leaving wifi open for mobile devices only.  You can think of a switch as a device that keeps your local network organized by making sure incoming signals go to the right device.  It also allows local devices to talk to each other inside your local network.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build