Is the HTC black trackers only for roomscale?

So the motion trackers, hence the name, are only for tracking movement right? So I can setup the motion trackers in another room and still use non motion tracking mode in front of my PC when I want to and if I want to play a game with motion tracking or standing up I can go in the next room and play in there right? Or the trackers always have to see the headset/remotes, no matter what?

No it doesn't work that way. The absolute tracking from the lighthouses is about dealing with the longer term movements, the gyroscopes in the HMD and the hand controllers are what track most of the short term motion. The algorithm combines these two to deal with the inherient drift issues that gyroscopes have and to ensure that accuracy is maintained in the longer term but the lighthouses are just too slow to be used for the 20ms tracking requirement.

So even seated at your desk you need a lighthouse, I have determined you don't really need both to have good visibility but you have to have one. The rift despite being seated/standing and not room scale at all still has a camera to fix the gyroscope issue and provide full motion tracking, its not optional.

39 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

No it doesn't work that way. The absolute tracking from the lighthouses is about dealing with the longer term movements, the gyroscopes in the HMD and the hand controllers are what track most of the short term motion. The algorithm combines these two to deal with the inherient drift issues that gyroscopes have and to ensure that accuracy is maintained in the longer term but the lighthouses are just too slow to be used for the 20ms tracking requirement.

So even seated at your desk you need a lighthouse, I have determined you don't really need both to have good visibility but you have to have one. The rift despite being seated/standing and not room scale at all still has a camera to fix the gyroscope issue and provide full motion tracking, its not optional.

Hmm well ok, I guess I'l have to skip out on roomscale.

2 hours ago, BrightCandle said:

I don't suppose I miss out to much without being able to have roomscale? Standing vs sitting is a major plus as you can still move a few inches but wihtout having full room room scale I supposed I don't miss out to much on the experience?

3 hours ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

I don't suppose I miss out to much without being able to have roomscale? Standing vs sitting is a major plus as you can still move a few inches but wihtout having full room room scale I supposed I don't miss out to much on the experience?

I don't agree at all. Roomscale is the best thing about the Vive and its a dramatically different to the sitting and standing experience. Most Vive games are room scale so you'll be missing out the entire point of getting a Vive. If all you wanted was sitting/standing and no hand controllers the Rift would have sufficed and has games targeted towards that type of experience.

1 hour ago, BrightCandle said:

I don't agree at all. Roomscale is the best thing about the Vive and its a dramatically different to the sitting and standing experience. Most Vive games are room scale so you'll be missing out the entire point of getting a Vive. If all you wanted was sitting/standing and no hand controllers the Rift would have sufficed and has games targeted towards that type of experience.

Well no because the rift doesn't have controllers and is all sitting. Standing up isn't that the experience, or moving like not a lot. In the games they let you teleport or else you get motion sick.