Replacing a potentiometer in a joystick

Dark_Fuzzy

So i just picked up one of these for $5 and it works perfectly fine with the exception of the twist(yaw in most games).

It will randomly stick to the right even if I'm not even touching it.  My question is how hard would it be to replace the pot that controls that twist(with my limited knowledge of electronics)?

Also where could i find a pot to replace it. Or could it be something else entirely?

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

snip

18 minutes ago, klh2000 said:

snip

Tried cleaning it with some rubbing alcohol as someone recommenced. Didn't fix it

One of the wires soldered to it looks like it might not have the best connection,but wouldn't that cause it to simply not work?

2 hours ago, Dark_Fuzzy said:

One of the wires soldered to it looks like it might not have the best connection,but wouldn't that cause it to simply not work?

not necessarily. A poorly connected wire could be messing with the signal that the pot is sending. Since a pot basically shows a variable resistance, the wire might be adding resistance which might be causing it to stay stuck to one side. Stuff like that.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Yea.. as @KaminKevCrew said, it might be sending erroneous signals. Try resoldering the joint.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

23 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

snip

22 hours ago, Huntsman said:

snip

Tried resoldering the connections and its still doing the same thing,any idea where i can find a new pot?

Before going out to get a new pot that fits exactly which would probably cost you, why dont you first do abit of basic troubleshooting? Check if the pot itself is faulty? You can do this by desoldering it and put a multimeter to it... and then use a normal variable resistor/pot and solder it in and try. That sort of thing...

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?