Case Fan (Maybe red LED)

TheOnlyNexus

Hey guys, 

I have been looking for a good new case fan for ages now, and now decided to ask the community for help. I'm thinking of a 120mm fan, that would fit into my Corsair Spec Alpha. 

Should be very quiet (max. 20 dB)

Optional: red LED

Thanks in advance

You know ambient sound levels are around 30dB, right?

I like the Aerocool DS 120mm with the LNC attached. Moves a lot of air at a low volume, and it's more of a whooshing hum than a fan motor noise.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 minutes ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

Hey guys, 

I have been looking for a good new case fan for ages now, and now decided to ask the community for help. I'm thinking of a 120mm fan, that would fit into my Corsair Spec Alpha. 

Should be very quiet (max. 20 dB)

Optional: red LED

Thanks in advance

Go for the Noctua NF-F12 its a great silent fan. Or if you dont like the colour and prefer looks go for the Noctua NF-F12 industrial and remove the brown anti vibration pads and you have a black fan :D

Desktop: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @4,1 Ghz GPU: AMD Radeon 5700XT @2,2 Ghz RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2666 Mhz  MB: Asus ROG STRIX B450-E Storage: Western Digital SN750 500GB + Samsung 970 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda Compute 1000GB Case: NZXT H500 

Results: Cinebench R20 Multi-thread: 2800

2 minutes ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

Is it worth waiting for the new Corsair ML120 pro fans?

Yeaah its a good option if you want the LEDS

Desktop: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @4,1 Ghz GPU: AMD Radeon 5700XT @2,2 Ghz RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2666 Mhz  MB: Asus ROG STRIX B450-E Storage: Western Digital SN750 500GB + Samsung 970 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda Compute 1000GB Case: NZXT H500 

6 minutes ago, Slammer said:

Go for the Noctua NF-F12 its a great silent fan. Or if you dont like the colour and prefer looks go for the Noctua NF-F12 industrial and remove the brown anti vibration pads and you have a black fan :D

There is nothing quiet about the Noctua Industrials, and removing the rubber pads would not help that.

6 minutes ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

Meh? I don't particularly care for Corsair fans. There are better performers in terms of noise and airflow, and their LED fans are utter crap.

Ok. Thanks for your reply. I'll wait for the Corsair ones i think

BTW: Noctuas fans look just... you know what I mean. I've also got two of them, which I want to exchange now, because of their look. Already had the Industrial Fan, but it's a little bit too noisy in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

There is nothing quiet about the Noctua Industrials, and removing the rubber pads would not help that.

Meh? I don't particularly care for Corsair fans. There are better performers in terms of noise and airflow, and their LED fans are utter crap.

I have 4 SP120's and 1 AF120 LED fans sitting 2 ft from my head. they're almost dead silent (though to be fair they DO emit a slight hum, but its barely audible)

No idea why people grab onto a stereotype and then just throw fuel on the fire. I can tell you first hand that there is nothing wrong with these fans. I'm not saying they're the best fans on the market, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. they're cheap. they're reliable. and they're not loud at all.

8 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I have Noctua Industrials and i dont find them as quiet as the normal Noctuas but there are still pretty quiet especially if you tweak the RPMs. With the industrials its more looks than silence. 

Would the BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 be an option. I heard, that they are quite good and extremely silent.

27 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

I have 4 SP120's and 1 AF120 LED fans sitting 2 ft from my head. they're almost dead silent (though to be fair they DO emit a slight hum, but its barely audible)

No idea why people grab onto a stereotype and then just throw fuel on the fire. I can tell you first hand that there is nothing wrong with these fans. I'm not saying they're the best fans on the market, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. they're cheap. they're reliable. and they're not loud at all.

No idea why people assume that others with experience are just grabbing onto a stereotype. I've used Corsair fans extensively and come to the conclusion that there are better performers out there very close in price, and that their LED fans suck all on my own.

22 minutes ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

Would the BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 be an option. I heard, that they are quite good and extremely silent.

Yeah, but they're expensive. Performance is great, though.

I think I'll still wait for the Corsair ML 120 (Pro). Should I go for the red illuminated ones or rather use a LED strip to illuminate my Corsair Spec Alpha?

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

No idea why people assume that others with experience are just grabbing onto a stereotype. I've used Corsair fans extensively and come to the conclusion that there are better performers out there very close in price, and that their LED fans suck all on my own.

Their LED fans perform identically to their non LED fans (except they draw a bit more power for the LED). The fans are shaped exactly the same, and they spin at the same RPM's. there is no difference. That is why I assume you grab onto a stereotype. If you had ever even taken a glance at them you couldn't have come to the conclusion that their LED fans are worse, because they're exactly identical. Its certainly the sort of thing you would notice if you had tried out both of them as you claim.

Not trying to fanboy or anything. like I said earlier, there are certainly better fans on the market. I'm also just saying there is certainly nothing wrong with corsair fans either.

29 minutes ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

Yes that is a good series of fan. bit more costly than some, but I've never heard a bad review of one

5 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Their LED fans perform identically to their non LED fans (except they draw a bit more power for the LED). The fans are shaped exactly the same, and they spin at the same RPM's. there is no difference. That is why I assume you grab onto a stereotype. If you have ever even taken a glance at them you couldn't have come to the conclusion that their LED fans are worse, because they're exactly identical. Its certainly the sort of thing you would notice if you had tried out both of them as you claim.

No, they're not identical. Look at Corsair's freaking website. They have different specs. You pay a premium for a worse fan when you buy a Corsair LED instead of just buying a regular fan, Corsair or not, and a $10 case LED strip.

And yeah, I have used both.

4 minutes ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

I think I'll still wait for the Corsair ML 120 (Pro). Should I go for the red illuminated ones or rather use a LED strip to illuminate my Corsair Spec Alpha?

I'm sure you've seen this video, but in case you haven't, here you go.

They're going to be a tad more expensive, but I certainly agree with your desire to go that route. they look pretty promising. as far as using LED fans or LED strips, that is your personal aesthetic choice. I currently have LED fans, but in my next build i'm going to go non LED fans and get LED strip for sure. But that is just my opinion.

On 7/10/2016 at 9:44 AM, TheOnlyNexus said:

They're excellent fans.

On 7/10/2016 at 10:10 AM, Zyndo said:

Their LED fans perform identically to their non LED fans (except they draw a bit more power for the LED). The fans are shaped exactly the same, and they spin at the same RPM's. there is no difference. That is why I assume you grab onto a stereotype. If you had ever even taken a glance at them you couldn't have come to the conclusion that their LED fans are worse, because they're exactly identical. Its certainly the sort of thing you would notice if you had tried out both of them as you claim.

They're not the same and use a different design. http://www.anandtech.com/show/9737/the-corsair-sp140-led-af140-led-sp120-af120-fan-review

Corsair employees have explained that the LED versions are built more cheaply because marketing as shown that there isn't much demand for higher quality led fans so they focused on cutting costs instead. 

On 7/10/2016 at 9:25 AM, TheOnlyNexus said:

Wait if you're not in a rush. They seem interesting and I'd be very excited to see some potentially good led fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.