Thoughts about switching 4790k to 6700k

Yandera

Choose what system?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Choose what system?

• 4790k, Gigabyte UD3H Z97
    • 6700k, Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO Z170

HI guys, it´s my first post around here so be gentle please:P

I have build my current Pc in late 2014 and upgraded it continuesly since then.

My current build looks like this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pvTYTH

I actually got a better power supply, but this site does not have the company my power supply is from(its chieftec 750 Watt 80+)

I already bought a Asus 1070 Strix and a Noctua Nh-D15 but they have not been delivered by now, so I did not include them in my current build.

By now i got an offer to sell my Cpu/Mainboard/Ram/Cpu-Cooler (a bit under value imo but its for my father so im fine with that )for 350$.

I was gifted some Ram so i don´t need to worry about DDR4 Ram.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/66TYTH

Now i was thinking to buy myself a z170 Mainboard and a 6700k.

I primary use the system for gaming in 1080p 21:9 but will most likely go to 1440p 21:9 one day.

So now i need advice wheter to build the z170system or stay with my z97.

I included a poll an hoping you can give me some advice.

greatings

Yandera

Edit: updated post, delted second Idea

If you're mainly focused on gaming then go for the 6700K build but if you plan on doing more like virtual machines, rendering, etc. then the 6800k might not be a bad investment for the future.

Edit:

Keep in mind though that Kaby Lake should be here by the end of the year so you might want to wait until more details are released on that, it might offer some additional features or improvements over the current Skylake lineup.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

If you're mainly focused on gaming then go for the 6700K build but if you plan on doing more like virtual machines, rendering, etc. then the 6800k might not be a bad investment for the future.

There is no need for upgrading to i7 6700k for gaming. It's waste of money.

Sell a 4790K,Z79,212Evo,16gb ram for $350 i would say "Fuck off" to the offer since a a 4790k is a bit slower than a 6700k and a 6700K just by itself is $320 new...

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

What are you going to be doing with the rig? Unless you want to render video or do some sort of workstation workload the 6700k it's just flatout faster. But not by much vs your current rig I say you can safely put your 1070 on your current rig and wait for Kaby lake so the performance jump is more noticeable.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I read that the Kaby lake is most likely just a improved skylake Cpu with a stronger iGpu. The x99 platform was just a thought because they where recently released

Stick with that you got.

I jumped from that cpu to a 6700k and other than getting ddr4 ram, that and a minor performance upgrade. It really wasnt worth spend the at a minimum to jump from one to the other, $600 bucks. 

Devil's canyon will hold it's own for a while. So it's just basically a "you want 6700k" but don't need 6700k. Same for x99. It's 600 minimum to go to skylake, add probably another 200 to jump to X99. 

Imo, get a refund on the 1070 (can you do that?!) and save that money for a 1080. If you can't do that, I wouldn't recommend upgrading. You'd get too small of a performance boost to make it worth it. If you do a decent amount of rendering, the 6800k might be worth it. Keep in mind though that the 6700k is frequently the PEAK in terms of gaming performance (based on Linus' 6950x review).

Either way, I'd recommend selling the 1070 and saving to get a GTX 1080 in favor over upgrading the 4790k to the 6800k (assuming we're still talking only gaming).

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

24 minutes ago, sarfraz said:

There is no need for upgrading to i7 6700k for gaming. It's waste of money.

It´s for primary for the Mainboard, because my gigabyte Mainboard decided yesterday, after I installed the Utility tools from gigabyte(the right one), to overclock my Cpu to 4,7GHZ what lead to a non bootable PC. I fixed the problem for now but i had to disable the Intel Turbo (I need the System to work now and not to run instable) so i´m at 4,0 for now. As well imo the software regarding fan controll is better from asus.

8 minutes ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

Imo, get a refund on the 1070 (can you do that?!) and save that money for a 1080. If you can't do that, I wouldn't recommend upgrading. You'd get too small of a performance boost to make it worth it. If you do a decent amount of rendering, the 6800k might be worth it. Keep in mind though that the 6700k is frequently the PEAK in terms of gaming performance (based on Linus' 6950x review).

Either way, I'd recommend selling the 1070 and saving to get a GTX 1080 in favor over upgrading the 4790k to the 6800k (assuming we're still talking only gaming).

I could do that quite certainly and is most likely not the way i gonna go, a friend of mine gonna buy an EVGA 1080 and will most likely sell it to me when the 1080ti arrives. So the 1070 is "just a graphics card for the moment " because I want to get rid of this heat and noise generating power consuming thing thats right now in there, a 7990 from Asus

6 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

You don't need a CPU upgrade. Your money would be better spent on a new GPU.

I ordered a 1070 already and will get an 1080 when 1080TI gets released.

I actually want a Mainboard change but when I buy these days a new z97 i´ts a waste of money imo. I would get smth like the Asus Rog Maximum VII Ranger with allmost the same costs of a Z170 Mainboard.

Youre not taking into account the 320-350 for the 6700k, which is a total waste for gaming.

Another 100 for a decent kit of ram.

150-250 for the Z170 board.

Sure if you want to blow money and upgrade, do it. The 4790k is capable enough and it's not even old news yet.

The only reason everyone is comparing to the 6700k is because it's the newest consumer line processor. 

The 4790k will last another couple years before it needs upgraded. Its not needed to upgrade.

Your pc with a capable card will do 1440p.

Just for shits and giggles, I took one of my 1080's out of my 6700k and threw it in the 4790k system my gf uses. Ran 1440 benchmarks, ran the same ones against my 6700k and its within 10%. 

Is 10% worth 500-600 bucks?

14 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

Youre not taking into account the 320-350 for the 6700k, which is a total waste for gaming.

Another 100 for a decent kit of ram.

150-250 for the Z170 board.

Sure if you want to blow money and upgrade, do it. The 4790k is capable enough and it's not even old news yet.

The only reason everyone is comparing to the 6700k is because it's the newest consumer line processor. 

The 4790k will last another couple years before it needs upgraded. Its not needed to upgrade.

Your pc with a capable card will do 1440p.

Just for shits and giggles, I took one of my 1080's out of my 6700k and threw it in the 4790k system my gf uses. Ran 1440 benchmarks, ran the same ones against my 6700k and its within 10%. 

Is 10% worth 500-600 bucks?

guess you did not read all of it;P

I would sell my "old" stuff and I already have DDR4 Ram lying around here so i would only have to worry about getting a new Mainboard. The mainboard is actually the main point of thinking about a system change, because I just had recent problems with my gigabyte mainboard with OC on Cpu and so I would like to change to a Asus board.

So your changing from a CPU that overclocks well, to one thats VERY dependant on the silicon lottery?

Just buy a new board, and stick with the CPU that's more OC friendly.