1070 now, or 1080 later?

Beeeyeee

Let me explain. I have everything I need for an absolutely EPIC gaming and editing PC. All I'm missing is a freaking graphics card. I'm getting the Asus Strix 1080.. Or at least I was. I can't find them in stock anywhere! I've been checking every site that has it listed nearly every few hours for the last 4 weeks. The 1070, that looks the same, is actually in stock now. Do you think I should just complete my build and attempt to sell it at a slight loss later... Or just wait till I can get my hands on a 1080?

7 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

Let me explain. I have everything I need for an absolutely EPIC gaming and editing PC. All I'm missing is a freaking graphics card. I'm getting the Asus Strix 1080.. Or at least I was. I can't find them in stock anywhere! I've been checking every site that has it listed nearly every few hours for the last 4 weeks. The 1070, that looks the same, is actually in stock now. Do you think I should just complete my build and attempt to sell it at a slight loss later... Or just wait till I can get my hands on a 1080?

I was also going to get an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ACX 3.0. Let me tell ya, just wait for around 3-6 months for stock to climb back up, and most importantly, the prices go back to where they should be from the get-go.

My plan now is to stick with a GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW ACX 2.0+ that's now waiting for a mobo to get installed into, and work with what I got, and upgrade that sucker to two 1080s by then.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

9 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

If you can wait for a 1080, why not wait for the 1080ti? :P

It depends on how much it costs. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $450 on the 1070, and even that is a huge stretch, and I say that because they're often sold for way over MSRP ($500-$1200 sometimes on Amazon).

Normally, I would say it ultimately depends on your budget, but if you do choose to wait, it might be a while before either the 1070 or 1080 are in stock for a reasonable price. These cards sell faster than the cards themselves.

Wait it out and get a 1080.

Go for the EVGA FTW ACX 3.0, it's got 2x 8-pin pcie power connectors, pretty dope rgb led lighting throughout the card (Which I assume can be disabled if you don't want it on), and it's a beast when it comes to performance and cooling.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 hour ago, YongKang said:

If you can wait for a 1080, why not wait for the 1080ti? :P

Haha I would but this system can't play games without a card!

1 hour ago, TheKDub said:

Wait it out and get a 1080.

Go for the EVGA FTW ACX 3.0, it's got 2x 8-pin pcie power connectors, pretty dope rgb led lighting throughout the card (Which I assume can be disabled if you don't want it on), and it's a beast when it comes to performance and cooling.

Personally I know the way the Asus one looks much better. Plus my motherboard and case lighting all will use the Asus aura software so that'll be that much easier

Well, you might have to wait 1 - 3 more weeks before getting one, versus getting a 1070 and playing your PC for 2 - 3 years with an inferior graphics card and reduced settings just because you didn't wait 1 - 3 weeks. I know it's tough, and I've caved before, but waiting is always going to have been the right choice once you make it through the wait and have the item you really wanted. And the 1080 is quite a bit beefier than the 1070 in some situations.

I'm kind of in the same situation, though I'm looking to get a 1070, which are available and in stock in enough places now. But I'm trying to wait until after the GTX 1060 releases, so that it might bring 1070 prices down a little after people have more affordable options. I also want to wait for certain suppliers to restock on the brand and model that I think I want.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

If you haven't you should sign up for notify me on Newegg.  The MSI watercooled 1080's came in yesterday and other 1080's seem to stay in stock for a few hours now.

If you have a Micro Center, Fry's, Best Buy etc then check in those stores for stock I wouldn't be too surprised if they were in stock their make sure to price match to newegg or whatever has the cheapest

Ehhhhh, if you have the money I'd say just wait for the 1080. At worst you'll have to wait a couple more weeks but that'll be better than your 1070 becoming relatively less powerful faster than a 1080 would be and thus probably having to buy a new card sooner than a few weeks. 

14 hours ago, Beeeyeee said:

Haha I would but this system can't play games without a card!

Live on IGPU for awhile lol. But, seriously, just wait the 1080 to get in stock.

19 hours ago, Finnman said:

If you haven't you should sign up for notify me on Newegg.  The MSI watercooled 1080's came in yesterday and other 1080's seem to stay in stock for a few hours now.

yeah I have. I'm just waiting