NVidia reducing 900 series cards' performance?

RADEON_GUY

So I've noticed in my latest 3d mark testing with the latest nvidia drivers a performance degradation. And I'm not talking 50-100 points. I'm talking 700 points less in the graphics score. Back In may my 970 used to get 12403 points overclocked to 1447 mhz. Now, my 970 overclocked to 1454mhz gets 11795 points. In everything else, the difference is negligible (150 less points in the physics test and that's  because I had MSI afterburner and chrome running). And, again, the highest difference was in both of the graphics tests (3 frames less in the 1st test, 2 frames in the 2nd test). Anyone noticed the same thing?

2 minutes ago, RADEON_GUY said:

So I've noticed in my latest 3d mark testing with the latest nvidia drivers a performance degradation. And I'm not talking 50-100 points. I'm talking 700 points less in the graphics score. Back In may my 970 used to get 12403 points overclocked to 1447 mhz. Now, my 970 overclocked to 1454mhz gets 11795 points. In everything else, the difference is negligible (150 less points in the physics test and that's  because I had MSI afterburner and chrome running). And, again, the highest difference was in both of the graphics tests (3 frames less in the 1st test, 2 frames in the 2nd test). Anyone noticed the same thing?

You're probably just not hitting your max boost clocks as effectively in the summer with higher ambient temps. That's the case with my 970 right now.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You're probably just not hitting your max boost clocks as effectively in the summer with higher ambient temps. That's the case with my 970 right now.

I will make sure to look into that. It may or may not be the case since, you know, I live in the uk where it's night and really cold right now.

2 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

what cpu do you have? thats quite a high score originally 

An i5 4460

wait what? i have a 4690k and my 970 is around 1480 mhz but my highest score is only around 10000-11000

Cpu: i5 4690k @ 4.3ghz

Gpu: Asus GTX 970 Strix 

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5

Psu: EVGA Supernova 750W G2

Case: NZXT Noctis 450

4 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Silicon Lottery deity overhere xD!

You mean 11795 is a good score? I think it's pretty sh*tty since I got better.

I went from running 355.18 drivers to the latest drivers 368.69 and didn't see any drop in framerate or 3D Mark score at all, well aside from the first time where I forgot upgrading drivers disables SLI, lol.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

22 minutes ago, RADEON_GUY said:

I will make sure to look into that. It may or may not be the case since, you know, I live in the uk where it's night and really cold right now.

cold in the UK?? In the south east it's humid af atm

My PC: I7 4770 (3.4Ghz)

32Gb Corsair Xms3 DDR3

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Samsung 120gb SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

Aerocool Xpredator Evil Black

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8502026

30 minutes ago, RADEON_GUY said:

Link to the results?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

24 minutes ago, alanz25 said:

wait what? i have a 4690k and my 970 is around 1480 mhz but my highest score is only around 10000-11000

u mean graphics score or overall?

my i5 6600 + 970 got 10.5k

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

u mean graphics score or overall?

my i5 6600 + 970 got 10.5k

Graphics:11795, overall 9172

1 minute ago, RADEON_GUY said:

Graphics:11795, overall 9172

did you run it in a clean environment or you just ran it with a dozen more things running in the background?

chances are is that you have loads more junk running in the background now compared to before

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

did you run it in a clean environment or you just ran it with a dozen more things running in the background?

chances are is that you have loads more junk running in the background now compared to before

Well considering background junk barely affected the physics score, which if it made any difference, should've been down 700 points instead of 150 and the graphics score was 700 points down I don't think it really matters. I've ran it again in a cleaner environment and a higher memory overclock and got an acceptable 12023 graphics score, 9260 overall. Considering I have a weaker CPU than the minimum vr spec and I'm only down 11 points, I'd say it's acceptable.

How aboult a rollback to the old driver and trying over?

Don't download the driver from the nvidia site. Try one from an AIB like MSI.

13053 Graphics 11683 overall, running a tonne of junk in the background on my GTX 970 at 1500 MHz, driver 368.69. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

I haven't noticed any performance degradation.

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

13053 Graphics 11683 overall, running a tonne of junk in the background on my GTX 970 at 1500 MHz, driver 368.69. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

link?

Score seems fine to me on the newest driver set. Getting 13,256 GPU and 10,610 overall @1542 core and 2000 memory and 4.4GHz CPU on an awful Windows 10 install

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

3 minutes ago, TheElt said:

Score seems fine to me on the newest driver set. Getting 13,256 GPU and 10,610 overall @1542 core and 2000 memory and 4.4GHz CPU on an awful Windows 10 install

Well considering my 970 is clocked at 1454 and I managed to squeeze more than 12000 and I have a shitty cpu I'd say my score is... alright I guess?

6 minutes ago, RADEON_GUY said:

Well considering my 970 is clocked at 1454 and I managed to squeeze more than 12000 and I have a shitty cpu I'd say my score is... alright I guess?

GPU score doesn't get affected by what CPU you have, it more depends on your OS and how much crap you've got in the background, if ShadowPlay is enabled, etc.

12000 @1454 Core seems normal I'd say for an every day install of Win 10

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

Have you tried rolling back to the old drivers to see if the performance goes back up to previous levels?

And DDU is your friend. Use him when you can. ^_^

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

18 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

That's a very decent score

Lo and behold after disabling shadowplay which is supposed to have a 'negligible performance hit' my score jumped to a graphics score of 12481 and a combined score of 9589 which is higher than my previous best. So yeah. The conclusion? F**k shadowplay.