Weak Wi-Fi signal

ShiroiTenshi

Hello. I have a problem with my wifi. Basically I have very weak wi-fi signal and I wondered if maybe someone knows how to fix that. In my previous house I always had the best signal out of all devices but now I have the weakest one. I have a laptop in my second room which has 5 lines of wi-fi while I have only 2. Router is placed so that both devices receive same signal. I mean there isn't much anyone could help me with but maybe someone knows some software to which I could use to check what's wrong. Or maybe it's just my room that su* out of all of them.

May not be of any help, was at a friends yesterday sorting his wifi which is very weak.  We ended up placing the wifi dongle on an extended usb cord near the ceiling, this put it above the kitchen stuff, and microwave etc and he got a solid signal.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

2 hours ago, ShiroiTenshi said:

Hello. I have a problem with my wifi. Basically I have very weak wi-fi signal and I wondered if maybe someone knows how to fix that. In my previous house I always had the best signal out of all devices but now I have the weakest one. I have a laptop in my second room which has 5 lines of wi-fi while I have only 2. Router is placed so that both devices receive same signal. I mean there isn't much anyone could help me with but maybe someone knows some software to which I could use to check what's wrong. Or maybe it's just my room that su* out of all of them.

WiFi signals can be affected by many things. Walls is a perfect example. What the walls are made of is more important in this case. For example Wood, Drywall and Plaster are pretty easy for WiFi to penetrate. While Cinder block, Concrete, or metal are not very easy. Other devices that share the air ways with WiFi. The magnetrons in Microwaves product 2.4 Ghz, and output that at a greater power level then what your router transmits at. Baby monitors, Cordless phones and other devices use 2.4 Ghz as well. Keep in mind 2.4 Ghz does not need a FCC license in order to use. Weather can play a role, moisture in the air affect wireless signals. 

Firstly I recommend you download WiFi Analyzer on an Android Device, I dont know whats available on iOS if you use iOS. However this will allow you to check what wireless channels are free. You could just be in a congested WiFi area. You see 2.4 Ghz only has 11 channels that you can use. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only channels that dont overlap with other channels. This means there really only 3 really good channels to use. The more WiFi routers in your area, the worst off your 2.4 Ghz band will be.  I recommend you try to use 5Ghz if available as you will generally have a better experience as long as your not to far away from the router or your house is built out of concrete. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.