AIO cooler, attached to stock heatsink

What would happen if you attached a liquid cooler like the h100 v2, to a stock heatsink, and then installed it onto a cpu?

Would it act like an extended water block?

I wonder what the thermal differences would be.

Just an idea 

I do hope people see this, and become just as curious as i am, to see it's effects.

I posted here, because i'd label this as exotic cooling. My apologies if it's in the wrong place. 

Edited by airdeano
Formatting

CASE: NZXT H440 Black                              

MOBO: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero                                

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.2GHz                                        

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 FE

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum -- 16Gb -- DDR4 - @ 2400Mhz

PSU: Corsair RM1000

HDD 1: WD Blue 1TB

HDD 2: WD Blue 500GB

SSD 1: Sandisk Plus 120GB SSD

SSD 2: Toshiba Q300 120GB SSD

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2

3 minutes ago, VortexTech said:

What would happen if you attached a liquid cooler like the h100 v2, to a stock heatsink, and then installed it onto a cpu?

Would it act like an extended water block?

I wonder what the thermal differences would be.

Just an idea 

I do hope people see this, and become just as curious as i am, to see it's effects.

I posted here, because i'd label this as exotic cooling. My apologies if it's in the wrong place. 

Welcome to the Forums!

It wouldn't be possible to do that you mount either the stock heat sink or the AIO cooler not both.

17 minutes ago, radical guild said:

I don't think that would work well

You're probably right, but Linus Tech Tips aren't about what works most times. They're about trying new and fun things, so i'd like to see them do it, would be amusing to watch, 

16 minutes ago, W-L said:

Welcome to the Forums!

It wouldn't be possible to do that you mount either the stock heat sink or the AIO cooler not both.

I think you misunderstood. I meant, for example removing the fan from an AMD stock cooler, and attaching an AIO cooler to the top of the stock heatsink, and mounting the stock to the cpu. Not both at the same time. The mounting would be ghetto, of coarse, otherwise you wouldn't be able to attach the AOI cooler to the stock heat sink.  

And thank you for your kind welcome. 

1 minute ago, VortexTech said:

You're probably right, but Linus Tech Tips aren't about what works most times. They're about trying new and fun things, so i'd like to see them do it, would be amusing to watch, 

Well, the stock CPU cooler is a hunk of aluminium, which doesn't have as good thermal conductivity as water so I bet it would perform worse

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

You'd have to, as Linus says, 'ghetto mount' it. Even then I'm sure the stock heatsink would be a sort of bottleneck, as the copper plate on the AIO is most efficient when it directly contacts the CPU. Adding a layer in between reduces the cooling capabilities of the AIO.

I think you misunderstood. I meant, for example removing the fan from an AMD stock cooler, and attaching an AIO cooler to the top of the stock heatsink, and mounting the stock to the cpu. Not both at the same time. 

Yeah stacking was what I meant but it would be less effective than say directly having the block onto the CPU as it adds an extra block of metal it needs to transfer through to get to the waterblock for cooling. 

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Well, the stock CPU cooler is a hunk of aluminium, which doesn't have as good thermal conductivity as water so I bet it would perform worse

That would be the most probable effect. Though i am curious to see the difference in thermals. I don't expect it to be better, That would be ridicules :D. 

It still wouldn't work. Having a smooth contact surface is what allows for the best transfer of heat, and removing the fan that creates airflow to carry away heat on the best contact heatsink would make things even worse. Stick with one or the other.

That would be the most probable effect. Though i am curious to see the difference in thermals. I don't expect it to be better, That would be ridicules :D. 

Might as well try it yourself :)

And post pics when you do it. Don't matter if they call you crazy

Don't forget to put thermal paste in between every interfacing metal

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yeah stacking was what I meant but it would be less effective than say directly having the block onto the CPU as it adds an extra block of metal it needs to transfer through to get to the waterblock for cooling. 

Yes, Yes it would. Thats the point of the experiment. To see the full extent of the difference. I would do this myself, but i don't have a following, and i'm not a fun person. Those at LTT are humorous, and their content is fun to watch. 

11 minutes ago, Rune said:

It still wouldn't work. Having a smooth contact surface is what allows for the best transfer of heat, and removing the fan that creates airflow to carry away heat on the best contact heatsink would make things even worse. Stick with one or the other.

This isnt for a practical, full time solution. This would be for a temporary period, to survey the difference in temperatures. Also, the AIO block would be making direct contact with the stock heatsink, leaving no space for air to pass through. 

11 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Might as well try it yourself :)

And post pics when you do it. Don't matter if they call you crazy

Don't forget to put thermal paste in between every interfacing metal

If i get the spare time, i may give it a go. For experimental purposes. And for the experiments variables, each heatsink would be treated as standard. Meaning thermal material on the bottom of the stock heatsink, and the bottom of the AIO. The mounting solution for the AIO to the heatsink may be complicated, so i'd probably drill it into the stock heatsink, using some bolts, or something along those lines. I would also have to modify the heatsink to make full contact with the AIO and the stock cooler. 

3 minutes ago, VortexTech said:

This isnt for a practical, full time solution. This would be for a temporary period, to survey the difference in temperatures. Also, the AIO block would be making direct contact with the stock heatsink, leaving no space for air to pass through. 

The other side of a stock heatsink is anything but smooth.

This is like saying "I know you would die if you were hit by a car going 80mph, but how far would your body go flying?"

1 minute ago, Rune said:

This is like saying "I know you would die if you were hit by a car going 80mph, but how far would your body go flying?

So true

Probably would have to sand the other side for a couple dozen hours

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

You'd have to, as Linus says, 'ghetto mount' it. Even then I'm sure the stock heatsink would be a sort of bottleneck, as the copper plate on the AIO is most efficient when it directly contacts the CPU. Adding a layer in between reduces the cooling capabilities of the AIO.

The stock cooler would make direct contact with the CPU, as usual, and sport its standard mounting system. The Ghetto mounting would have to be with the AIO, to make it have proper contact with the stock cooler, and the hold it in place, properly. This would require some drilling. 

2 minutes ago, VortexTech said:

The stock cooler would make direct contact with the CPU, as usual, and sport its standard mounting system. The Ghetto mounting would have to be with the AIO, to make it have proper contact with the stock cooler, and the hold it in place, properly. This would require some drilling. 

Yes but you'd be reducing the surface area that the AIO has with the CPU. And, aluminum is not as good a heat conductor as copper.

4 minutes ago, Rune said:

This is like saying "I know you would die if you were hit by a car going 80mph, but how far would your body go flying?"

This is why i said some modification would have to be made to the heatsink. A most applicable heatsink for something like this would be the intel stock cooler i've inserted as an image below. Without the fan obviously. 

300x300px-LS-bfcd19e9_960149901_Cooler_E41759-002.jpeg

This is why i said some modification would have to be made to the heatsink. A most applicable heatsink for something like this would be the intel stock cooler i've inserted as an image below. Without the fan obviously.

Putting styrofoam and bubble wrap on the car won't save you. But admittedly, I'd like to see another video of a processor cooking an egg.

I would really love to see what would happen if you took out the stock fan and connected the H100 copper plate to the stock copper plate

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

1 minute ago, Rune said:

Putting styrofoam and bubble wrap on the car won't save you. But admittedly, I'd like to see another video of a processor cooking an egg.

Those intel coolers would be the more simple solution and would require more modification, but as i said previously, this isn't for practical use, but more for amusement. Putting Styrofoam and bubble wrap on a car wouldn't save you, but it would be damn fun to watch. in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, LizardsAreOP said:

I would really love to see what would happen if you took out the stock fan and connected the H100 copper plate to the stock copper plate

Thats what i'm suggesting. I personally would be amused by the video, and excited to see the results. I love it when linus tech tips do fun, silly stuff. 

Thats what i'm suggesting. I personally would be amused by the video, and excited to see the results. I love it when linus tech tips do fun, silly stuff. 

I think it would not be possible since the heatsink would then have to be upside for the water cooler to attach to it and i dont think stock coolers can stand upside down....

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

2 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

I think it would not be possible since the heatsink would then have to be upside for the water cooler to attach to it and i dont think stock coolers can stand upside down....

I mean you would need copper plates on both sides

1 minute ago, LizardsAreOP said:

Some older Intel heatsinks have the copper going through the entire heatsink, and it's basically a symmetrical chunk of metal. The same on both sides. Meaning with some ghetto mounting, this could, in theory, be done. 

Some older Intel heatsinks have the copper going through the entire heatsink, and it's basically a symmetrical chunk of metal. The same on both sides. Meaning with some ghetto mounting, this could, in theory, be done. 

Still the results would be as expected...at this point where only asking ourselves is this even possible

3 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

Still the results would be as expected...at this point where only asking ourselves is this even possible

It's possible, The ghetto way. I have some spare components around, and a couple of liquid coolers, the h100 and the H100i v2. So if i ever find the time, or if i can be bothered, I may give this a shot. I just wondered what the opinions of others would be. 

Again, for comedic purpose only. I wouldn't be attempting something ridicules as to use this as a permanent solution. i would bench it and record down the temps, and to my own amusement, see the differences.