First-timer Upgrading a Best Buy PC

So I've never built a PC before but I've been reading guides and build lists and stuff for years, putting together a plan. Unfortunately, everything I read was either way out of my price range, or within my price range but working off the assumption that I was upgrading an old PC and directing the budget towards just the motherboard, processor, and graphics card which didn't work because I was starting from scratch.

So I saved up and, on a tiny bit of research and a lot of impulse, bought an ASUS Essentio Series M11BB about two years ago. Brought it home, set it up, and downloaded Steam to install Skyrim; it auto-detected to Ultra, and I was a happy camper. Since then I've bought a graphics card and more RAM, but now I'm looking to some more significant upgrading. I've half a mind to do a proper build from a new case and up, but my budget leans more towards a piecemeal overhaul. So I figure I'll list out my current specs and gaming style/aspirations, and get some advice on where best to start the upgrade.

• Motherboard: F2A55-M/M1BB/DP_MB (stock)
  • CPU: AMD A10-6700 (stock)
  • RAM: 16GB (2x8) PNY Xlr8 DDR3
  • Graphics: PNY Verto 2GB NVIDIA GT 740 ("ew, budget card", I know, but I bought it before I started following Linus Tech Tips and learned better)
  • Storage: 1x 1TB Toshiba HDD (stock)
  • PSU:  AcBel HBA008-ZA1GT 350 (stock)
  • Network: Realtek 8821AE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC (stock)

And it's all in the ASUS Essentio case, a non-descript black rectangular box.

I'm looking at getting the AMD RX 480 (though I just read that NVIDIA is releasing the 1060 at that price point, so I'll wait and see how it compares), and I plan on running just one with one 1080p display. I have no plans to upgrade to a multi-monitor set-up, VR, or 1440p+. I honestly can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps (though that may just be a lack of experience), and I don't play the kind of competitive games where those extra frames would make a difference. I think that's all the important information. 

As far as I've read, the first thing I need to upgrade to be able to even use an RX 480-class card is the PSU. Am I on the right track? What kind of wattage should I look for? What are the reliable generic/cheap brands? Are there any frills/features I should look for or avoid?

Thanks for your advice,

Wolfie

Edited by Wolfesbrain
added a sign off/expressed appreciation for reading

This psu should handle any single gpu setup you could plan to use http://pcpartpicker.com/product/fZyFf7/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii520bronze  or semi modular http://pcpartpicker.com/product/vJvRsY/cooler-master-power-supply-rs650amaag1s1   I don't bother recommending full modular because you need those connectors anyway. Good psu ranking 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Awesome. Thanks for the advice and I guess I'll be back with more questions after I've saved up and bought the PSU.