Gtx 1070 (550-580€) or Gtx 980ti (480€)

SuperiorSpidey
Go to solution Solved by ClobberXD,
5 hours ago, SuperiorSpidey said:

I was actually planning to get either the 1070 AMP or the gaming x version. 

That's pretty awesome. 

Good! Even I myself prefer the Gaming X lineup. Just warned you not to get the GTX 1070 FE, as it's unreasonably expensive...

hello guys,
I live in Greece, and the prices of the gtx 980tis dropped pretty rapidly. At the price of 480€ the options are the Gigabyte GeForce GTX980 Ti 6GB Gaming OC WindForce 3X and the EVGA GeForce GTX980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+. The cheapest GTX 1070 that I'm planning to get is the GTX 1070 ZOTAC AMP!, which costs 550€, meanwhile,  the GTX 1070 MSI GAMING X being just, 30€ more expensive. (580€) Is it worth paying 70-100€ more for a GTX 1070? (The GTX 1070 MSI AERO costs 510€ and the 1070 ARMOR 530€, however I'm not interested in buying one of those, since a backplate isn't included.) 

The 980 Ti is better! The Gtx 1070 pricing is messed up in Europe... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

9 minutes ago, SuperiorSpidey said:

hello guys,
I live in Greece, and the prices of the gtx 980tis dropped pretty rapidly. At the price of 480€ the options are the Gigabyte GeForce GTX980 Ti 6GB Gaming OC WindForce 3X and the EVGA GeForce GTX980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+. The cheapest GTX 1070 that I'm planning to get is the GTX 1070 ZOTAC AMP!, which costs 550€, meanwhile,  the GTX 1070 MSI GAMING X being just, 30€ more expensive. (580€) Is it worth paying 70-100€ more for a GTX 1070? (The GTX 1070 MSI AERO costs 510€ and the 1070 ARMOR 530€, however I'm not interested in buying one of those, since a backplate isn't included.) 

If you can, get the 1070 - its truly worth it!

Nothing to see here ;)

i would go with gtx 1070 why ? it has more V-ram, betther Directx-12 supporort . and drivers will mak it even more betther,

3 minutes ago, MisterWhite said:

Your photo is disturbing

Thank you Walter. 

1 minute ago, NukaColaBoy said:

i would go with gtx 1070 why ? it has more V-ram, betther Directx-12 supporort . and drivers will mak it even more betther,

1 minute ago, Anand_Geforce said:

The 1070 is not better than a 980Ti (if you overclock both) 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

at that price difference, I would get the 980ti. the 1070 and 980ti perform fairly closely, The only real difference is the 8GB VRAM 1070 vs the 6GB VRAM 980ti. If you don't need more than 6GB VRAM, then getting the 980ti is likely the smart move here at a price difference that large.

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The 980 Ti is better! The Gtx 1070 pricing is messed up in Europe... 

There are some German shops, where the 1070s are kinda cheap, however the shipping fees are pretty steep. 

4 minutes ago, NukaColaBoy said:

It has indeed more V-Ram, however, I'm probably staying with my 1080p TV. So I don't think that the 2GB of extra v-ram will affect me in any way. The drivers will probably improve its performance, and I hope the OC capabilities (the current ones are pretty poor), but is it still worth the 100 more euros?

9 minutes ago, Anand_Geforce said:

70-100 euros more worth it? (100€=110$=85£)

9 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

at that price difference, I would get the 980ti. the 1070 and 980ti perform fairly closely, The only real difference is the 8GB VRAM 1070 vs the 6GB VRAM 980ti. If you don't need more than 6GB VRAM, then getting the 980ti is likely the smart move here at a price difference that large.

I see that you're a 980ti owner. Have you OC'd your GPU? If so, have you experienced high temperatures? 

6 minutes ago, SuperiorSpidey said:

There are some German shops, where the 1070s are kinda cheap, however the shipping fees are pretty steep. 

It has indeed more V-Ram, however, I'm probably staying with my 1080p TV. So I don't think that the 2GB of extra v-ram will affect me in any way. The drivers will probably improve its performance, and I hope the OC capabilities (the current ones are pretty poor), but is it still worth the 100 more euros?

Why don't you downscale your games from 4K... Run them at 4K low settings and it would look awesome on a 1080p panel! Luke did a video on that... I think it is called downsampling...

If you go purely performance wise. The 1070 suck for the price. But the 1070 has the benefit of being new.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

15 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Why don't you downscale your games from 4K... Run them at 4K low settings and it would look awesome on a 1080p panel! Luke did a video on that... I think it is called downsampling...

Won't I lose sharpness by doing that? 

10 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

If you go purely performance wise. The 1070 suck for the price. But the 1070 has the benefit of being new.

Which means that the performance of the 1070 is going to improve by a lot?

1 minute ago, SuperiorSpidey said:

Only time will tell.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, SuperiorSpidey said:

Won't I lose sharpness by doing that? 

You will improve the graphics quality by quite a lot!

29 minutes ago, SuperiorSpidey said:

I see that you're a 980ti owner. Have you OC'd your GPU? If so, have you experienced high temperatures? 

on air I've gotten it to 1490MHz 100% stable. in the most extreme and prolonged situations it has topped out at about 75 C with the default fan curve at 1490. I cannot overclock it further due to software glitches with MSI afterburner/GURU. I'm very certain I could do better since I can get to 1490MHz with not being able to really adjust my voltage at all. Didn't bother trying memory overclocks as I'm already pinned at max fps anyway lol. I just run it at the 1455MHz it can get with the "OC" setting out of the box. it tops out around 68-72 C on that setting depending on the game. so no, temperatures are very reasonable. Although the Xtreme Gaming 980ti is a massive 2.5 slot thickness cooler, so that could have a lot to do with it. its a bit of an anomaly when it comes to GPU coolers.

8 hours ago, SuperiorSpidey said:

It depends on how you value 70-100 euros... If you value performance (in most aspects), and the new architecture itself and its features, more than the 100 euros, you should definitely get a custom cooler GTX 1070 (don't get Founder's Edition - too expensive for just the batmobile thingy...)

Nothing to see here ;)

23 hours ago, Anand_Geforce said:

It depends on how you value 70-100 euros... If you value performance (in most aspects), and the new architecture itself and its features, more than the 100 euros, you should definitely get a custom cooler GTX 1070 (don't get Founder's Edition - too expensive for just the batmobile thingy...)

On 7/7/2016 at 8:04 PM, Zyndo said:

on air I've gotten it to 1490MHz 100% stable. in the most extreme and prolonged situations it has topped out at about 75 C with the default fan curve at 1490. I cannot overclock it further due to software glitches with MSI afterburner/GURU. I'm very certain I could do better since I can get to 1490MHz with not being able to really adjust my voltage at all. Didn't bother trying memory overclocks as I'm already pinned at max fps anyway lol. I just run it at the 1455MHz it can get with the "OC" setting out of the box. it tops out around 68-72 C on that setting depending on the game. so no, temperatures are very reasonable. Although the Xtreme Gaming 980ti is a massive 2.5 slot thickness cooler, so that could have a lot to do with it. its a bit of an anomaly when it comes to GPU coolers.

That's pretty awesome. 

5 hours ago, SuperiorSpidey said:

That's pretty awesome. 

Good! Even I myself prefer the Gaming X lineup. Just warned you not to get the GTX 1070 FE, as it's unreasonably expensive...

Nothing to see here ;)