Specs:

MB: Gigabyte H110M S2

CPU: i5 6500

RAM: 8x2 HyperX Fury 2133Mhz DDR4

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 950 AMP! Edition

PSU: Corsair CX430

SSD: 256GB Samsung 850 PRO

HDDs: 1x4TB and 1x2TB (both 3.5in WD Blue), 1x512GB WD Blue 2.5in

A few of the specs here may be irrelevant but where else can a proud parent be obnoxious about their baby even if it's ugly?

Where I live, people have to pay through the nose and every other orifice for PC parts and I would give a lot (not money, though) for a Micro Center here but there isn't one, so every dollar I save will detract from the already sky-high cost of owning a decent rig. Not long ago, out of sheer necessity, I put together a build after plenty of research with my needs in mind, a couple wants and the best bang for my buck but now with the prospect of sourcing at cheap, directly from the States, the new GTX 1080, the possible one-stop-solution to all gaming concerns for the discernible future, I've begun to rethink my priorities and seriously wonder if I can shove one into the ecosystem I've already set up. I've calculated power draw by TDP, used a number of highly recommended power calculators out there which are supposed to "give you a good idea of what wattage PSU you'll need" and have read through a couple blogs/articles published after actual methodical testing which ultimately, like the results from the previous two, speak of a load power draw plus a buffer well within what this PSU is capable of, despite supporting a high-performance component(s). On the other hand, for some reason that I don't know and would very much like to, people by rule of thumb, think that you need between 500 and 600 watts to supply a powerful single-card gaming rig. So the question to which I (and maybe a few other poor souls) would like a well-justified, definitive answer to is, can my build (the PSU in particular) handle a GTX 1080?

It maybe could, but your power supply should run when your system is under load at about 70-80% of the total power. Especially with lower quality power supplies, like yours, that aren't Gold rated, pushing them to the limits isn't really suggested.

2 minutes ago, dobo2001 said:

It maybe could, but your power supply should run when your system is under load at about 70-80% of the total power. Especially with lower quality power supplies, like yours, that aren't Gold rated, pushing them to the limits isn't really suggested.

Ratings don't matter. Internal component quality does though, and the CX is famous for being meh (the grey label ones are very good however)

@erakin99 The wattage is fine but the quality isn't.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

yes, the CX430 has enough total wattage to run the 1080. No I would not recommend putting a 1080 on that PSU if you can avoid it. not the best quality. it was a decent purchase for your budget oriented system, but if you're going to drop a 1080 in there, you should hopefully be able to afford an extra 50-75 bucks to the build for some extra assurance when it comes to your PSU.

Keep in mind the CX430 can only provide 384W on its 12V rail. not the 430W total the unit is rated at. this can be cutting it a bit close when your system is under heavy load.

27 minutes ago, erakin99 said:

Specs:

MB: Gigabyte H110M S2

CPU: i5 6500

RAM: 8x2 HyperX Fury 2133Mhz DDR4

GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 950 AMP! Edition

PSU: Corsair CX430

SSD: 256GB Samsung 850 PRO

HDDs: 1x4TB and 1x2TB (both 3.5in WD Blue), 1x512GB WD Blue 2.5in

A few of the specs here may be irrelevant but where else can a proud parent be obnoxious about their baby even if it's ugly?

Where I live, people have to pay through the nose and every other orifice for PC parts and I would give a lot (not money, though) for a Micro Center here but there isn't one, so every dollar I save will detract from the already sky-high cost of owning a decent rig. Not long ago, out of sheer necessity, I put together a build after plenty of research with my needs in mind, a couple wants and the best bang for my buck but now with the prospect of sourcing at cheap, directly from the States, the new GTX 1080, the possible one-stop-solution to all gaming concerns for the discernible future, I've begun to rethink my priorities and seriously wonder if I can shove one into the ecosystem I've already set up. I've calculated power draw by TDP, used a number of highly recommended power calculators out there which are supposed to "give you a good idea of what wattage PSU you'll need" and have read through a couple blogs/articles published after actual methodical testing which ultimately, like the results from the previous two, speak of a load power draw plus a buffer well within what this PSU is capable of, despite supporting a high-performance component(s). On the other hand, for some reason that I don't know and would very much like to, people by rule of thumb, think that you need between 500 and 600 watts to supply a powerful single-card gaming rig. So the question to which I (and maybe a few other poor souls) would like a well-justified, definitive answer to is, can my build (the PSU in particular) handle a GTX 1080?

Well if you can afford a GTX 1080 then you can afford to be gouged 70 USD for a PSU. Don't have backwards priorities about building a system - you need to be prepared to effectively power the expensive GPU you plan to but.

A GTX 1080 would be fine on an EVGA 750 B2 (they don't sell lower wattage versions but you could realistically run two 1080s off this PSU) which isn't super expensive.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Well if you can afford a GTX 1080 then you can afford to be gouged 70 USD for a PSU. Don't have backwards priorities about building a system - you need to be prepared to effectively power the expensive GPU you plan to but.

A GTX 1080 would be fine on an EVGA 750 B2 (they don't sell lower wattage versions but you could realistically run two 1080s off this PSU) which isn't super expensive.

The 1080 will be carried in luggage across 8000 miles; unfortunately, I can't afford to do the same with a PSU that'll weigh a brick. 

2 minutes ago, erakin99 said:

The 1080 will be carried in luggage across 8000 miles; unfortunately, I can't afford to do the same with a PSU that'll weigh a brick. 

You can buy a GTX 1070 and then buy a PSU and keep it in the box while carrying it with you? I dunno, you need a better PSU whatever you do.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||