Is GTX 750ti compatible with Acer Aspire motherboard?

LeechHax

To make a long story (fairly) short:

I bought a GTX 950 last week. I put it in the PCIe slot. My computer wouldn't boot, and it wouldn't even boot into the BIOS.

Then I bought a GTX 750ti this week. The same thing happened.

My power supply is 550 watts, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm using the correct display cable (DVI-D dual link). And before you ask, yes, the graphics card is in all the way - the power LED was on, and the fans were spinning.

The only problem I can think of is that my BIOS is outdated. I could update my BIOS, but the update would only go to 2012. (right now the current version is 2011).

...So before I downgrade to an older GPU, a 500 series, maybe you guys have some bright ideas to make my 750ti work?

are you sure you plugged the monitor into the graphics cards?!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Oh, and my specs are:

CPU - AMD FX-4100

PSU - VIOTEK 550W

MOBO: Acer Aspire M(something)

RAM: 8GB

OS - Windows 10

An exact model number of the PC would be helpful in determining comparability.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

are you sure you plugged the monitor into the graphics cards?!

I tried everythiiiing.

I plugged the monitor into the graphics card using the DVI-D cable first.

Then I plugged the monitor into the graphics card using a VGA cable.

Then I tried plugging the monitor in using a different port (my card has 2 ports).

Nothing works!

All I get is the Acer splash screen on my monitor.

Then it beeps a short beep one time. Then 10 seconds later it beeps another short beep. Then my screen goes black.

does your mobo have integrated graphics? 

13 minutes ago, LeechHax said:

All I get is the Acer splash screen on my monitor.

Then it beeps a short beep one time. Then 10 seconds later it beeps another short beep. Then my screen goes black.

• Do you have integrated graphics? (Like the user above asked)
  • When you get the ACER splash screen, are you connected to the GPU or integrated graphics?
  • After your screen goes black, does the system keep running?
  • Does your BIOS have an option to use an external GPU?
    • If it doesn't then it's likely an add-in graphics card won't work on the boot screen. Windows should still be able to use the add-in gpu after it loads drivers though.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Sounds to me like there's an on board video solution and it's set to be the default video.  Change that setting to PCI-E first or simply disable the on board video.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

2 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

Sounds to me like there's an on board video solution and it's set to be the default video.  Change that setting to PCI-E first or simply disable the on board video.

As he stated he can't get into BIOS, so I don't think that is an option. Also I believe his model is the 

AM3450-UR30P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103380 

Plug the monitor into the onboard video.  That is where the bios will be displayed if my theory is correct.  Then enter the bios and find an option for default video and change it from integrated first to PCIEx16 first.  Plug the monitor back into the discrete graphics and it should work.

AMD cpus don't have integrated graphics guys.

i9-11900K @ 5.1ghz;   RTX 3090 FE @ 2ghz;   ROG Maximus XII Hero;   4266mhz G.Skill 16GB DDR4;

3 minutes ago, auraofjason said:

There is a video card built into the motherboard as far as I can see on the newegg page. Also there are APU's so that isn't entirely true....

22 minutes ago, auraofjason said:

Long before APUs there were chipset graphics.  That computer does have chipset graphics.

Actually took the 10 mins to restart my computer and make a quick little video of what I'm talking about.  @LeechHax your bios screens may look different but should have an option somewhere around similar to this.

Errors in video - your primary display off the discrete graphics (pcie) and secondary of the integrated - also I have HD 3200 chipset video and the card I upgraded from was HD 4650 not 4250.

Spoiler

The second video is from another youtube user showing a different bios but similar options.  Placed them in a spoiler to keep the scroll shorter for other users.

1 hour ago, Cracklingice said:

Plug the monitor into the onboard video.  That is where the bios will be displayed if my theory is correct.  Then enter the bios and find an option for default video and change it from integrated first to PCIEx16 first.  Plug the monitor back into the discrete graphics and it should work.

Sorry it took so long to reply, bro. I'm back home now.

So my motherboard model is an Acer Aspire M3450

And my integrated graphics is ATI Radeon HD 4250

Alright, so what can you tell me now with that information? :P

1 minute ago, LeechHax said:

Unplug your GPU from the computer and use the VGA plug on the motherboard just completely exclude your GPU and see if it boots. If it does, then follow Cracklingice's videos.

1 minute ago, LeechHax said:

BTW - I tried disabling my onboard APU (is it an APU?) in the Device Manager. But my GPU still didn't work. However, I haven't tried the BIOS thing yet. But I don't know if I even have that option.

4 minutes ago, LeechHax said:

BTW - I tried disabling my onboard APU (is it an APU?) in the Device Manager. But my GPU still didn't work. However, I haven't tried the BIOS thing yet. But I don't know if I even have that option.

Wait.... How did you get into device manager if your GPUs don't work?

3 minutes ago, kebo2015 said:

Wait.... How did you get into device manager if your GPUs don't work?

Probably with the onboard video.

@LeechHax Before outright disabling the onboard, I would first try finding the option for default graphics and set that to expansion card or pcie or however it's defined.  If you do disable the onboard and run into issues of no function at all - you'll have to unplug the computer and remove the small battery for a 30 seconds or so to clear the CMOS or there's an option for clear CMOS as a switch on some boards.  You will have to put the date and time back in and possibly some other settings.  So before trying disable onboard video - definitely look high and low for that first display, default display or however it's called and set it so that pcie is first.