Noctua NH-U14S

mathmeister

Is the Noctua NH-U14S overkill for my i5-6600K that I'm planning to overclock a little bit? I also wanted it to be quiet but $40 just for silence over something like the 212 Evo isn't worth it.

it depends on personal preference, if you put a 212 evo in a decently closed case you wont hear it most of the time, let alone when you are wearing headphones. however the Noctua NH-U14S is way more expensive and will be more quiet but i personally think the price gap is too big.

3 minutes ago, Alexzz_ said:

it depends on personal preference, if you put a 212 evo in a decently closed case you wont hear it most of the time, let alone when you are wearing headphones. however the Noctua NH-U14S is way more expensive and will be more quiet but i personally think the price gap is too big.

I'm building it in the Define S so don't think that little bit of sound matters.

1 minute ago, mathmeister said:

I'm building it in the Define S so don't think that little bit of sound matters.

it shouldnt really matter since in that case you are more likely to hear the intake and exhaust fans, you should invest in making those quiet instead of the cpu heatsink

1 minute ago, Alexzz_ said:

it shouldnt really matter since in that case you are more likely to hear the intake and exhaust fans, you should invest in making those quiet instead of the cpu heatsink

I got AF120s for intake and exhaust. Those are quiet enough right.

i think so, but im not a expert on intake and exhaust fans, here is a video review of them.

25 minutes ago, mathmeister said:

Cases don't make noise and the Define S doesn't do much to lower noise. The most effective way to lower noise is to use components that generate less noise.

21 minutes ago, mathmeister said:

I got AF120s for intake and exhaust. Those are quiet enough right.

Whether something is quiet enough or not is up to you.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Cases don't make noise and the Define S doesn't do much to lower noise. The most effective way to lower noise is to use components that generate less noise.

Whether something is quiet enough or not is up to you.

Did some research and think the two included fans are enough to get good airflow and silence. 

It really boils down to what kind of OC you want, the CM evo doesn't cool as well as the d14  so it won't be able to push the clocks as high, but if you aren't trying to squeeze out every last bit the cpu can give the CM evo will be fine 

sorry, just reread, yeah the u14s won't get you much of a cooling performance so...yeah

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

4 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

yeah the u14s won't get you much of a cooling performance so...yeah

? The NH-U14S performs pretty similarly to the NH-D14. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

19 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-U14S performs pretty similarly to the NH-D14

about halfway between the evo and d14 according to reviews I've seen

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

24 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What reviews are you looking at?

apparently wrong ones

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Cyracus said:

sorry, just reread, yeah the u14s won't get you much of a cooling performance so...yeah

U14S is more than enough for medium OC with temps still being reasonable. Like I could get my 4770K to 4.3ghz if I'd had time to tweak settings and max temp under stress would still be under 87C of personal threshold.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

U14S is more than enough for medium OC with temps still being reasonable. Like I could get my 4770K to 4.3ghz if I'd had time to tweak settings and max temp under stress would still be under 87C of personal threshold.

Should I just stick with a 212 evo for mild oc? I'm also worried about silence so if that's an issue are there any other options under $50?

2 minutes ago, mathmeister said:

Should I just stick with a 212 evo for mild oc? I'm also worried about silence so if that's an issue are there any other options under $50?

Pure Rock and Cryorig H7 have more quiet fans while performance is at par. From Noctua U12S could still be bit over the price limit.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Pure Rock and Cryorig H7 have more quiet fans while performance is at par. From Noctua U12S could still be bit over the price limit.

even then, I was still able to get a pretty decent OC with tolerable temperatures with an u12S, more so than my 212 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!