Microsoft Arc Mouse - Thoughts?

neoxid501

It came up on my amazon recommended list and I thought it looked pretty cool. I'm curious if anyone has experience with the mouse and using it. Thanks! 

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/mice/arc-touch-mouse/rvf-00052

It looks like a fat guy at Microsoft sat on his smartphone while his boss was coming over to his desk, realised he had no work to show, and hastily decided to present that as a new design concept.

671b494f-dc13-4555-af8e-49375d940ea7.jpg

Serious talk though, even for normal productivity, even if all the gimmicks work fine, the balance on that thing looks awful.

When arced, there is no material near the bottom to keep the centre of gravity low, so if the feet and the surface aren't cooperating very well, the mouse will easily tip over.

When flat out, the mouse will require a very aggressive claw grip and will not feel very "filling" in your palm.

8569569a-97b4-4dce-b6a0-f34ea2b4a895.jpg

There are a few models of Arc. The original Arc and the Arc touch and a separate bluetooth version of the Arc touch. Which are you looking at? 

I have the Arc touch. If you have something specific in mind about that one, I can probably answer. Off the top of my head:

- I love bluetrack. The sensor picks up nearly perfectly on friggin' anything. Glass coffee table? Sure. Rough concrete wall? No problem. My hairy leg? Just fine. A boob? Results pending, got punched as I tried. Probably yes though.

- I like the way it straightens. That also turns it off. I don't carry mine around but that function would be great for throwing it in a laptop bag and taking it with you.

- I don't mind the looks. The surface is grippy and rubbery. Because it's bent it's a bit loose on the underside and I'd imagine that's where it'd wear out first.

- I fear the scroll "wheel" on it. There's witchcraft baked into it. The second you look away from it, you forget it's not an actual wheel. The tactile feeling is just sorcery. Plus you can just flick it and it'll "spin" like a wheel would. It rattles while doing it and you can hear and feel as it gradually slows down. Makes scrolling long documents a breeze. So long as your GPU and HDD can keep up, that is.

I don't use it daily though. And I never would. It's not comfortable in my hand. I got it to use it on a fabric sofa with my HTPC and for that it was just perfect.

Saw that on sale a month or so here. Thought it was a shoehorn.

It looks retarded, feels retarded and its price is re... dumb.

8 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

There are a few models of Arc. The original Arc and the Arc touch and a separate bluetooth version of the Arc touch. Which are you looking at? 

I have the Arc touch. If you have something specific in mind about that one, I can probably answer. Off the top of my head:

- I love bluetrack. The sensor picks up nearly perfectly on friggin' anything. Glass coffee table? Sure. Rough concrete wall? No problem. My hairy leg? Just fine. A boob? Results pending, got punched as I tried. Probably yes though.

- I like the way it straightens. That also turns it off. I don't carry mine around but that function would be great for throwing it in a laptop bag and taking it with you.

- I don't mind the looks. The surface is grippy and rubbery. Because it's bent it's a bit loose on the underside and I'd imagine that's where it'd wear out first.

- I fear the scroll "wheel" on it. There's witchcraft baked into it. The second you look away from it, you forget it's not an actual wheel. The tactile feeling is just sorcery. Plus you can just flick it and it'll "spin" like a wheel would. It rattles while doing it and you can hear and feel as it gradually slows down. Makes scrolling long documents a breeze. So long as your GPU and HDD can keep up, that is.

I don't use it daily though. And I never would. It's not comfortable in my hand. I got it to use it on a fabric sofa with my HTPC and for that it was just perfect.

The same one that nobelharvards brought up. Seemed like a cool concept

I personally hate it, find my mx nano way better and still tiny for portability 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

8 minutes ago, neoxid501 said:

The same one that nobelharvards brought up. Seemed like a cool concept

Sure is. I've been kind of hoping that it'd die so I could dissect it and see how it works. What exactly keeps it so rigid as it's locked but allows it to bend back and forth when it's not.