Can you overclock an intel i5-6600?

Hi, I was recently wanting to get an AMDfx-8350 and was wanting to overclock it but soon found out its a dead socket and its not that good and other stuff like that so I have now moved on to the the Intel i5-6600, I dont know that much about Intel since I have been researching so much about the AMD cpu and motherboards to fit it. I just want to know if you can overclock it since the fx-8350 is 'unlocked'and the i5-6600 is not, it might not have anything to do with this but I just thought it might and that you cant overclock it. Please tell me I'm wrong.  

Yes and no, Yes if you have specific motherboards asrock came out with (this is the second time since the first was patched by intel), otherwise no, also you're better off just getting the k chip tbh.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, Skulldriver360 said:

no k no fun.

there was an ability to do it in the past but you wont get bios updates if you want to do this.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

3 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

no k no fun.

there was an ability to do it in the past but you wont get bios updates if you want to do this.

did the updates do anything influential? Or make any big differences that would be better than overclocking? Also do they still release these updates?

did the updates do anything influential? Or make any big differences that would be better than overclocking? Also do they still release these updates?

you will use an old version because the new versions have the overclocking disabled. i wouldnt recommend doing it because bios updates fix problems. i would go for a 6500, a 6700 or a 6700k. everything else doesnt make much sense.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

2 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

you will use an old version because the new versions have the overclocking disabled. i wouldnt recommend doing it because bios updates fix problems. i would go for a 6500, a 6700 or a 6700k. everything else doesnt make much sense.

would a 6600 be ok?

5 minutes ago, Skulldriver360 said:

would a 6600 be ok?

6600k, otherwise no overclocking

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

would a 6600 be ok?

Just now, racer243l said:

6600k, otherwise no overclocking

but for a 6600k you will need a better mobo and cooling. and since even when its overclocked its not faster than a 6700 i would go for that one instead.

It depends on what gpu you are going with.

You basicly dont realy need to overclock your cpu persee.

The 6600 non k will basicly be more then powerfull enough in most cases.

Its just if you like to squeeze some extra performance out of your system, then its worth it to buy a unlocked chip and Z-series board.

In terms of a locked cpu overclocking, well a while back some motherboard manufacturers came with a custom bios that allowed bclk overclocking for non k cpu´s.

But intel didnt liked that move, and demended the mobo manufacturers to take those biosses offline.

Not sure if intel also has rolled out a microcode update to lock this down.