XFX RX 480 @1288mhz pci e x16 help

R8ge
15 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

The average consumption of the card is not what's over spec, it's the spikes. And if I had to guess, I'd say it's the overkill voltage and power limit that the card ships with that's causing the problems.

Actually it is the average consumption over the PCI-E slot that is the problem.

It seems that the card draws it power at roughly a 50:50 ratio between the two sources:  PCI-E and the 12v cable.

Intermittent spikes (<1ms) are nothing to fear.  That is what capacitors are for.

The problem is where the card gets it's power from, not the fact this card likes to pass the 200W draw mark when it is pushed.  The VRM on the board is fine.

24 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

The average consumption of the card is not what's over spec, it's the spikes. And if I had to guess, I'd say it's the overkill voltage and power limit that the card ships with that's causing the problems.

So Amds drivers are going to lock the watts at 150.  But I have a decent motherboard and it's a gaming edition idk if it fires it fries

9 minutes ago, stconquest said:

It seems that the card draws it power at roughly a 50:50 ratio between the two sources:  PCI-E and the 12v cable.

Intermittent spikes (<1ms) are nothing to fear.  That is what capacitors are for.

The problem is where the card gets it's power from, not the fact this card likes to pass the 200W draw mark when it is pushed.  The VRM on the board is fine.

So somehow in the drivers they need to make the psu put more than 75 not the mobo correct?

3 minutes ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

So Amds drivers are going to lock the watts at 150.  But I have a decent motherboard and it's a gaming edition idk if it fires it fries

What?

Anyways... no one knows what AMD's fix will be.  We can only guess.

Either you take the risk with the card you ordered and power throttle it until the "fix" from AMD comes through, or you cancel your order.  We don't know if your board can handle the particular card you ordered, at least at whatever stock setting you get.  You should tune the card, or at least benchmark it right away to see what it is doing.

5 minutes ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

So somehow in the drivers they need to make the psu put more than 75 not the mobo correct?

That won't happen in driver updates, not unless they power throttle the card:  total draw.

A new bios might be able to alter the ratio of draw from the two sources:  PCI-E and 12v cable... maybe 35:65.  The RX 480 has to have a capable voltage controller for that and the circuitry to support the changes.

We don't know yet.

38 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Yea I see that now. The under volt brings avg consumption to about 133. Be interesting to see what the distribution is after the under volt.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

34 minutes ago, stconquest said:

That won't happen in driver updates, not unless they power throttle the card:  total draw.

A new bios might be able to alter the ratio of draw from the two sources:  PCI-E and 12v cable... maybe 35:65.  The RX 480 has to have a capable voltage controller for that and the circuitry to support the changes.

We don't know yet.

My board the Msi a88xm board $125 as for the card I'm taking the gamble and my bios might have a voltage controller for all I now this was going to be my first graphics card and hope xfx did a good job on tuning.

12 minutes ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

My board the Msi a88xm board $125 as for the card I'm taking the gamble and my bios might have a voltage controller for all I now this was going to be my first graphics card and hope xfx did a good job on tuning.

Not the voltage controller on the motherboard, the controller on the GPU.  The GPU has a controller for the voltage, but how much control is dependent on the circuitry.  We have to wait.  A software fix (firmware/bios) is very real, but not confirmed yet.

23 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Yea I see that now. The under volt brings avg consumption to about 133. Be interesting to see what the distribution is after the under volt.

At 133W total draw, I would not worry about it xD  Probably still 50/50.

29 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Not the voltage controller on the motherboard, the controller on the GPU.  The GPU has a controller for the voltage, but how much control is dependent on the circuitry.  We have to wait.  A software fix (firmware/bios) is very real, but not confirmed yet.

Someone respond to this in he morning when they get the driver update and see Wither way I'm using my card till somethin gives out no matter if they fix it or not