Rx 480 Crossfire or R9 390x crossfire? Cpu bottleneck?

Hello folks :P 

I was just wondering if i'd crossfire my existing r9 390x with another but I'm concerned about the temps they produce when sandwiched to my case.

I'd really like to get a pair of rx 480's and ditch my r9 390x. 

I have a 750 evga g2 psu so i'd have to buy a bigger psu  to crossfire r9 390x so roughly it's  gpu r9 =369€ + psu evga 850 p2 189€ would be  558€ total

If i'd go for the rx 480 road it would be simply buying two of those so it would be 279€+279€= 558€ (Yeah I know same price as the r9 390x CF option)

First of, could my cpu handle rx 480 cf better than r9 390x cf?

And which one sounds better?

I'm strongly leaning towards the rx 480 option :) 

And I know there will be a slight bottleneck either ways but I want to know if the cpu could handle 2 gpu's and produce playable framerates 

I'm not getting a single card solution 

What's your CPU?

Red (Soon to be Retired)CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: CM 212 Evo  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 SSD: Kingston 128 GB (Boot), Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB (Main Games) HDD: WD Black 1 TB (Storage + Older Games) PSU: EVGA W1 500W Monitor: Dell ST2220l 21.5". Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard, Razer Deathadder Mouse, SteelSeries mosepad, 

1 minute ago, DGB said:

What's your CPU?

Damn I forgot to mention that, I5- 4460 :) 

go for 480 crossfire in that caise, just wait for Nitro card though

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, MasterMustard said:

Damn I forgot to mention that, I5- 4460 :) 

I don't like the idea of Crossfiring on a mid tier CPU. You are not going to have a good time, a single R9 390x is as far as I'd go on a 4460.

Well the 390x is better. The 480 currently has thermal issues as well, and you already have a 390x so I'd probably go with another 390x since you might not have to upgrade the PSU (it would be cutting it close but you do have a G2 so....), either way the 480 isn't really better than a 390x so yeah.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I don't like the idea of Crossfiring on a mid tier CPU. You are not going to have a good time, a single R9 390x is as far as I'd go on a 4460.

I'm also planning on getting a new cpu but that's just a thought of mine :) Just wanting to know if I'd be able to crossfire with the setup I have now.

I'm also planning on getting a new cpu but that's just a thought of mine :) Just wanting to know if I'd be able to crossfire with the setup I have now.

A bottle neck will not prevent you from xfiring it will however cut performance a lot.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

You possibly could, but I wouldn't recommend it. I wouldn't recommend Crossfire unless you have the current gen top tier graphics card. 

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

A bottle neck will not prevent you from xfiring it will however cut performance a lot.

Any ideas how much would the i5 cut the performance from the rx 480s cf?

Any ideas how much would the i5 cut the performance from the rx 480s cf?

I haven't a clue, also it would vary game to game based on how physics/cpu intensive the game is.

So I did a little more research and I think that yes there is a slight bottlenecking (the one I don't mind) as I've read that people have used the i5-4460 for 980 sli and r9 290x crossfire without noticeable bottleneck :)