[Rumor] Nexus 5 to feature MEMS camera, fastest camera phone tech

mgsstar

MEMS stands for microelectromechanical technology, and is a technology that is very different from the usual voice coil motors (VCMs) found in today's smartphone cameras. It's the same technology found in microphones, gyros and barometers in our smartphones today. It's very precise, with MEMS made in clean rooms just like other chips, but hundreds of times more power efficient

MEMS is capable of focusing 7 times faster than current cameras, and is able to snap images very, very fast. The ability of snapping multiple photos in quick succession allows you to shoot first, and focus later, like you would on a Lytro camera. It doesn't matter if you're taking photos in daylight or at night, as a MEMS-based camera can focus in a fraction of a second, and is magnitudes faster than current cameras. It is rumored that the Nexus 5 would see this technology baked inside of it, the first of its kind.

Source:http://www.tweaktown.com/news/33247/rumortt-nexus-5-to-feature-mems-camera-fastest-camera-phone-tech/index.html

This would be pretty cool to have a Lytro like camera as you can focus on objects later if the camera doesn't focus on the image that you want. Hope that this is true. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

This could be really awesome, hopefully the camera is really great out of the box, instead of later like the Moto X. Can't wait for the Nexus 5!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

While my current phone (Xperia S) does take nice photos, I would LOVE to see a snappier and high quality camera.

Yes, I wrote "LOVE" in pink. 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

This would be interesting to see this in the Nexus 5, but I'm not going to get my hopes up due to the fact that Nexus phones have always had crappy cameras.

i would love to have something like this!!!! if some1 can do it, it is google

Looking around,

bla bla bla this, meh that!

I'd rather have the battery of the Nexus phones be improved before the camera but that's just me. My dream phone is a Nexus 4 with Moto X (or phablet) battery life and a decent camera.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)