Old Nvidia GTX vs RX480, which is worth it more

thomas_8991

So in the UK an RX480 is just over £200 which sound like a good deal considering all the good reviews about the card. At the same time a much older GTX 690 is the same cost. As it is a much older card, my question is, is it still worth that much or is it better to buy a newer card such as the RX480 or similar?

Nope. 480 all the way, but I would wait for custom versions.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

690 was a beast at it's time, it's a double GPU card, but In my opinion going with new technology is better most of the time, it will support a lot more current technologies. 

I was definitely thinking that but wasn't really sure as i haven't put much research into graphics cards yet

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If you wanna get an RX 480, I'd highly advise waiting until custom PCBs start coming out for it.

The reference one isn't looking so hot at the moment.

True ,I've heard a few negative things about the reference card

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Sucks too because I was actually looking into saving up for one.

Same. I was thinking of upgrading my pc/salvaging parts from it the next time that I get paid. Would spending a little bit extra money on a GTX 970 be a good idea?

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Sucks too because I was actually looking into saving up for one.

My intention was to buy a $300 card. I'm thinking I'll sell my 480 when the 490 comes out and get that instead.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

10 minutes ago, thomas_8991 said:

Same. I was thinking of upgrading my pc/salvaging parts from it the next time that I get paid. Would spending a little bit extra money on a GTX 970 be a good idea?

They perform the same most of the time and Nvidia hardware ages pathetically compared to AMD hardware. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-oc-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-37b-sp.html #gimpworks

Steve