RX 480 #POWERGATE

Jredmond

Hey guys this is a thread for all those guys with a RX 480 issue. One of my friends bought it he has no problems on it with his old 2500k rig anyone not having any problems

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 With Corsair H110i GT GPU: GTX 1060 Strix OC MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon 1tb Samsung 850 Evo

1 minute ago, Jredmond said:

Hey guys this is a thread for all those guys with a RX 480 issue. One of my friends bought it he has no problems on it with his old 2500k rig anyone not having any problems

Post these on one of the 2 the 480 threads we already have. Getting tired of seeing 5 different threads about the 480 every 10 minutes, and kinda pointless when we already have ones discussing the implications that the power issue might cause, and tests with it, that have 20+ pages and 3+ pages respectively.

Can we please stop using gate for every single thing?

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

4 minutes ago, Overkilled said:

whats powergate

Currently trending :P

google

RX480 POWER PCIE BROKEN DEAD MOTHERBOARD ISSUE BUSTED ASS SHIT

^Not 100% accurate, but you'll get the idea after reading a bit.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Currently trending :P

google

RX480 POWER PCIE BROKEN DEAD ISSUE BUSTED ASS SHIT

^Not 100% accurate, but you'll get the idea after reading a bit.

Seems like Nvidia and AMD are taking turns at this point. The 3.5+0.5 with the 970, this power issue with the 480, anyone wanna bet the 1060 will be 5.5+0.5?

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Seems like Nvidia and AMD are taking turns at this point. The 3.5+0.5 with the 970, this power issue with the 480, anyone wanna bet the 1060 will be 5.5+0.5?

I was thinking the 1070 was gunna have a crossbar cut like the GTX970 so it would be The GTX1070 7+1GB=Math Edition

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Don't forget the Nvidia driver update that turned 970s into Tschernobyl

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

11 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Can we please stop using gate for every single thing?

but finfet uses tri-gates tho....

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

not "news" - moved to Graphics Cards.  It might make sense to have a place where people just post problems, seeing as how the other thread I am aware of that discusses the power issue (30+ pages) is more about just that - discussion of the issue.  But regardless this isn't a news post ;)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

not "news" - moved to Graphics Cards.  It might make sense to have a place where people just post problems, seeing as how the other thread I am aware of that discusses the power issue (30+ pages) is more about just that - discussion of the issue.  But regardless this isn't a news post ;)

46 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Post these on one of the 2 the 480 threads we already have. Getting tired of seeing 5 different threads about the 480 every 10 minutes, and kinda pointless when we already have ones discussing the implications that the power issue might cause, and tests with it, that have 20+ pages and 3+ pages respectively.

But it was a repost of a previous post.

3 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

But it was a repost of a previous post.

Can you provide a link? (not to the long one - I have that already)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Can you provide a link? (not to the long one - I have that already)

I was just making a joke on how I had already said it would've been a better idea to put it on the thread with 30+ pages.

7 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

I was just making a joke on how I had already said it would've been a better idea to put it on the thread with 30+ pages.

I think the intent is different enough that it would be OK to keep them separate.  As I said, that thread is about discussion of the issue, and follows it from the first discovery through to where we are now with many different testers all coming to the same conclusion.  This, if it takes off, would be where people post problems they've had with the card.

I think the intent is different enough that it would be OK to keep them separate.  As I said, that thread is about discussion of the issue, and follows it from the first discovery through to where we are now with many different testers all coming to the same conclusion.  This, if it takes off, would be where people post problems they've had with the card.

Fair enough.