Motherboard for i7-6700k

Go to solution Solved by racer243l,

I have the Z170-A and so far I´m really happy with it. I also use a 6700k overclocked to 4,6Ghz @1,35v. The Realtek Audio is nice for standard use. So I would buy it again any time

I'm struggling with choosing a good motherboard for Skylake i7-6700k.

Should be reliable, easy bios & overclock (hence planning Asus), good looksgood audio.

The choices are:

This is my planned build so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hBLbjc

Please include a reason why I should/shouldn't take a given board. Thank you in advance!

I have the Z170-A and so far I´m really happy with it. I also use a 6700k overclocked to 4,6Ghz @1,35v. The Realtek Audio is nice for standard use. So I would buy it again any time

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

4 minutes ago, racer243l said:

Thank you a lot, your recommendation is highly valuable to me! Hopefully others will share their opinion too.

1 minute ago, Edea said:

Thank you a lot, your recommendation is highly valuable to me! Hopefully others will share their opinion too.

No problem, always glad to help ;)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

30 minutes ago, Edea said:

I'm struggling with choosing a good motherboard for Skylake i7-6700k.

Should be reliable, easy bios & overclock (hence planning Asus), good looksgood audio.

The choices are:

This is my planned build so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hBLbjc

Please include a reason why I should/shouldn't take a given board. Thank you in advance!

Go for the Asus Z170-A because it supports higher ram speeds and has 4 Sata Express while the Sabertooth has 1,really the only difference is in features which you may not even use,so go for which one is cheaper but i recommend the Z170-A the Sabertooth series has always been for the X58,X79,X99 so go for the Z170-A or which one is cheaper

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

I have an ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger and so far so good ! I managed to overclock my i5-6600K to 4.7 @ 1.325 V (not 24/7 obviously) and It held up very nicely. The board looks good despite the red and silver accent that could go against your color scheme, great product otherwise

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

27 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Go for the Asus Z170-A because it supports higher ram speeds and has 4 Sata Express while the Sabertooth has 1,really the only difference is in features which you may not even use,so go for which one is cheaper but i recommend the Z170-A the Sabertooth series has always been for the X58,X79,X99 so go for the Z170-A or which one is cheaper

Thank you for your reply. The Sabertooth is about 40% more expensive here so I think I'll go with the Z170-A. :)

28 minutes ago, BbsMentos said:

I have an ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger and so far so good ! I managed to overclock my i5-6600K to 4.7 @ 1.325 V (not 24/7 obviously) and It held up very nicely. The board looks good despite the red and silver accent that could go against your color scheme, great product otherwise

Thank you for your suggestion BbsMentos, the color indeed doesn't fit that well to my build which is a shame, thank you for using time to reply, really appreciated!

Thank you to everyone who replied. I'm going for the Asus Z170-A as suggested by many here but also elsewhere. Much appreciated!