Upgrade from FX 6300 to 4690k or wait?

Hello so I have had an fx 6300 for a while. I have an r9 390 and play in 4k. Yes I know I am mentally ill for doing that. But I need to know, should i upgrade to a 4690k or wait for the next AMD series  or intel? If i go with 4690k, how long would that suffice in gaming?

2 hours ago, reapersivan said:

Hello so I have had an fx 6300 for a while. I have an r9 390 and play in 4k. Yes I know I am mentally ill for doing that. But I need to know, should i upgrade to a 4690k or wait for the next AMD series  or intel? If i go with 4690k, how long would that suffice in gaming?

If you're going to upgrade why not just go right to skylake? If you get a skylake i5 there will be little need to upgrade for a long time. 

Wait. Just wait. I had an i5 4460 and tbh I wasn't all too impressed. YES, I know the 4690k is faster out of the box AND overclockable, but the jump won't be that massive. In games like GTAV in 1080p, my 4460 would completely max out and my 390x would be at 70-90% usage. Zen is a good thing as far as we can tell, so just wait.

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

2 minutes ago, CobbleWalker said:

If you're going to upgrade why not just go right to skylake? If you get a skylake i5 there will be little need to upgrade for a long time. 

I was considering the i5 6600k or 4690k. Also, wouldn't I need to get DDR4?

Since you are playing 4k bottlenecking isn't as much of an issue. It is terrible at 1080p and 1440p. I have a GTX 970 and FX 6300 playing at 1080p, I get half of the FPS in a lot of games that my GPU is capable with the i7 6700k

1 minute ago, Vegetable said:

Wait. Just wait. I had an i5 4460 and tbh I wasn't all too impressed. YES, I know the 4690k is faster out of the box AND overclockable, but the jump won't be that massive. In games like GTAV in 1080p, my 4460 would completely max out and my 390x would be at 70-90% usage. Zen is a good thing as far as we can tell, so just wait.

hmmm, until next year .-. hopefully it doesn't let me down

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

To be fair I wasn't impressed by much at all going from a 9370 to a 4790k...

lol, 9370, don't you need liquid cooling on that?

2 minutes ago, reapersivan said:

Yes, you would need DDR4 or DDR3L, but since DDR4 is mainstream it isn't expensive 

2 hours ago, reapersivan said:

Ahhh, yes. This is true. I have gotten DDR3 to work in skylake systems, though. (Only on certain mobos). I super don't recommend it though, as the high voltage draw of DDR3 could damage your CPU.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

To be fair I wasn't impressed by much at all going from a 9370 to a 4790k...

Wow. Really? What about like games that use maybe one or two cores? Honestly, going back to GTAV as an example, I wouldn't expect much. The 9370 is decently fast and with 8 cores its honestly no slouch.

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

4 minutes ago, CJ5579 said:

Yes, you would need DDR4 or DDR3L, but since DDR4 is mainstream it isn't expensive 

Should might as well sell my CPU, mobo, ram. Is the hyper 212 eco compatible with skylake boards?

1 minute ago, reapersivan said:

Should might as well sell my CPU, mobo, ram. Is the hyper 212 eco compatible with skylake boards?

Yes, use the LGA 1150/1156 Bracket, the cooler mounting holes are in the same location

I am hoping to upgrade to Broadwell-E from the FX 6300. Performance gains will be insane, especially with the applications I run.

12 minutes ago, CJ5579 said:

I am hoping to upgrade to Broadwell-E from the FX 6300. Performance gains will be insane, especially with the applications I run.

yeah that would improve the performance even more but OP has a smaller budget i think, so @OP, if you can, wait until zen or kaby lake (both Q4 '16) :)

1 minute ago, mikat said:

yeah that would improve the performance even more but OP has a smaller budget i think, so @OP, if you can, wait until zen or kaby lake (both Q4 '16) :)

I hope to see good things from Zen. I want AMD to actually be able to compete with Intel. If there is competition, intel will pick up the pace and make their CPUs have a higher performance gain each generation. So far, current rumors of Katy Lake indicate an approximate gain of 3%-5%.