Windows 8 randomly restarting

Thunderjolt

Alright, I made a thread earlier about losing signal to my monitor but now my PC is just restarting randomly. No BSoD's or anything. It just turns off and back on...

On Sun 29/09/2013 17:30:48 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\092913-6828-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x5A440)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFA8607D1E3C8, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80361D605F1, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

Can anyone make sense of that for me? Is windows corrupted? I used whocrashed to get this log. Also lately my OC might be playing up. Right now I'm running at stock to make sure that it's not my OC causing these crashes. Even with going 6 hours of stress testing it didn't crash so I'm guessing it might not be the OC... I'm going to try a memtest in the morning to see if it might be an issue with the RAM.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it :)

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Did you try to run a chkdsk?

Not yet, I'll try that out now.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Did you try to run a chkdsk?

I've just done the checks for errors and it says there are no errors.

Have you tried.... turning it off and on again?

... I am sorry. I had to. It was so funny. ... I'll go now.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Have you tried.... turning it off and on again?

... I am sorry. I had to. It was so funny. ... I'll go now.

Yes I have >_>

I guess the next thing to do is to memtest, but you are going to do that later.

Spoiler

did you do check disk / repair ?

I have and it says there are no problems. I'm going to try a memtest today. I also tried something to see if windows was corrupted and it came up with nothing.

I'm guessing it's either bad ram or a bad OC causing these problems.

Does your computer self-restarting dependent on the temperature in the room? If yes, it could be caused by overheating of either the processor or the graphics card.   

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Does your computer self-restarting dependent on the temperature in the room? If yes, it could be caused by overheating of either the processor or the graphics card.   

The thing is nothing is over heating. I can be just browsing the internet and it goes off. I've been monitoring the temperatures and they are all around 30 C for both the GPU and CPU.

The thing is nothing is over heating. I can be just browsing the internet and it goes off. I've been monitoring the temperatures and they are all around 30 C for both the GPU and CPU.

Yes, this is rather strange. I would recommend a few different things since there is no way to know what exactly is causing the problem. 

1. Refit the processor in the socket. 

2. Apply new thermal compound.

3. Remove the GPU from the PCIe slot and clean the copper lanes, with a micro fiber cloth.

4. Check all of the power connectors. Are they correctly plugged in. It's never a bad idea to refit them.

5. Try switching the power supply with an other one if you can. There is always the possibility that your PSU is causing the problems. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Microsoft own support page says that it's related to RAM issue.

Test your RAM deeply, 1 stick at a time, and together, until you find an issue.

You can use Windows memory diagnostic utility (you need to boot from the Windows disk, and click on repair Windows, to find it) and also Memtest86

Yes, this is rather strange. I would recommend a few different things since there is no way to know what exactly is causing the problem.

1. Refit the processor in the socket.

2. Apply new thermal compound.

3. Remove the GPU from the PCIe slot and clean the copper lanes, with a micro fiber cloth.

4. Check all of the power connectors. Are they correctly plugged in. It's never a bad idea to refit them.

5. Try switching the power supply with an other one if you can. There is always the possibility that your PSU is causing the problems.

I've basically done everything there minus changing the PSU since I don't own another one to test it with. I noticed there was something in the PCIe lane and I removed it as well as refitting the wires.

My PC crashed during a Furmark burn-in test do after doing all that I'm re-doing the test after reinstalling the drivers from scratch.

You can use Windows memory diagnostic utility (you need to boot from the Windows disk, and click on repair Windows, to find it) and also Memtest86

I wil try this if I get another crash or freeze. Thanks!

I have done the test and instantly it came up with a hardware error and as soon as it finished it went to restart and came up with a screen saying I need to repair windows.

I've done a refresh of windows 8 and it seems to have fixed the problem hopefully. I'm just busy installing all the programs it removed... Which is basically all of them...

This happened now.

On Thu 03/10/2013 17:43:35 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\100313-8531-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x5A440)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF6EC50043E60, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80187D02A11, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

Anyone able to interpret it?

Anyone able to interpret it?

Did you install Windows 8.1 (Blue) or wtv? It says it's likely a software bug and not hardware related, so your RAM probably isn't it. 

Uninstall latest updates/programs that directly interact with/alter the OS (like Classic Shell, or stuff that gives you normal Windows functionality like a Start Menu). Then see if it does this. If it doesn't anymore, try re-installing what you uninstalled. It could be a bad install. 

If you want to try hardware again first, delete your pagefile then make a new one. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yes, as the link of the Microsoft documentation on BSOD code that you posted yourself says: Faulty RAM or corrupted pagefile.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559023%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Did you install Windows 8.1 (Blue) or wtv? It says it's likely a software bug and not hardware related, so your RAM probably isn't it. 

Uninstall latest updates/programs that directly interact with/alter the OS (like Classic Shell, or stuff that gives you normal Windows functionality like a Start Menu). Then see if it does this. If it doesn't anymore, try re-installing what you uninstalled. It could be a bad install. 

If you want to try hardware again first, delete your pagefile then make a new one. 

I haven't installed windows 8.1. I've spent the last few hours doing a memtest and found that one of my sticks has a ton of errors. Thanks for the help but now it's time for me to call up the RMA centres :(

could be application error happen with me 2 three times it fixed automatically after i re installed windows 8 

the error was due to windows updates never updated windows after that ,,,,

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

I haven't installed windows 8.1. I've spent the last few hours doing a memtest and found that one of my sticks has a ton of errors. Thanks for the help but now it's time for me to call up the RMA centres :(

Good luck. :(

† Christian Member †

• 1 month later...

Did you fix the problem @Thunderjolt?

Having the same problem.

Yes I have. The sticks of RAM were causing the issues. I've got new sticks now and it's working fine. If you can't figure it out try a memtest and run it for at least an hour or two. If one error comes up you have to send your RAM off to RMA. Also test the sticks individually. I found that one stick was completely fine while the other one was pretty much giving our hundreds of errors.