Win 7 Setup not seeing M.2 950 Pro 256GB SSD?

SnipeYa
Go to solution Solved by ClownFace1511,

I had the same issue. Look at the reddit link for the windows 7 drivers here: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3rvoop/samsung_950_pro_nvme_ssd_windows_7_64/

Run the install as normal and then select the driver when the hard drive section comes up.

As the title says, I've got myself a new m.2 950 Pro and when I try installing windows 7 onto it It doesn't show up in the storage devices. On my current install it shows up in the storage management thingo so im not sure what to do.

Im running a i7 6850K and Asus X99 Deluxe II.

What do I have to do to get windows on this darn thing!?

Well you're a genius, I'm installing 7 so that i can activate it (thus linking my CD key to my new mobo) then upgrading to 10.

Try being a little more helpful next time.

I've initialised the drive, You think making a partition on the drive will work?

14 minutes ago, SnipeYa said:

As the title says, I've got myself a new m.2 950 Pro and when I try installing windows 7 onto it It doesn't show up in the storage devices. On my current install it shows up in the storage management thingo so im not sure what to do.

By the way, not related but if you do install Windows 7 to it. You're gonna have a nasty shock in less than 1 year when you don't have anymore support.

Windows 7 will no longer have Skylake support.

What you should do is install a modern operating system like Windows 10.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 minutes ago, mikat said:

i'd say make a new empty volume?

I've initialised the drive, You think making a partition on the drive will work?

8 minutes ago, SnipeYa said:

Well you're a genius, I'm installing 7 so that i can activate it (thus linking my CD key to my new mobo) then upgrading to 10.

You've got a little over 4 weeks to figure out your problem and upgrade before you need to buy Windows 10.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 minutes ago, SnipeYa said:

You have until July 29th to upgrade for free to Windows 10. Keep that in mind. 

Edited by Matias_Chambers

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

You have until July 1st to upgrade for free to Windows 10. Keep that in mind. 

Actually July 29th but still upgrade soon or just buy Windows 10 today.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually July 29th but still upgrade soon or just buy Windows 10 today.

Oh, thanks for correcting me. 

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You've got a little over 4 weeks to figure out your problem and upgrade before you need to buy Windows 10.

2 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

You have until July 1st to upgrade for free to Windows 10. Keep that in mind. 

Would have 10 installed tonight if installing to the SSD wasn't being a pain

2 minutes ago, SnipeYa said:

Would have 10 installed tonight if installing to the SSD wasn't being a pain

Try installing Windows 10 using your Windows 7 key

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Try installing Windows 10 using your Windows 7 key

Doesn't work, I've upgraded about 8 people now and I've tried that before, It has to be an upgrade.

I had the same issue. Look at the reddit link for the windows 7 drivers here: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3rvoop/samsung_950_pro_nvme_ssd_windows_7_64/

Run the install as normal and then select the driver when the hard drive section comes up.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

install it somewhere else.. then upgrade, get the tool to get your win 10 key then fresh install on the 950

Win 7 probably not going to pick up an NVME drive especially over PCI-e straight outta the box. It's like when sata drives fdirst came out, you had to load a driver for the os tro see it.. really though I wouldn't bother.. do everything you need to then get the fresh install on there.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

41 minutes ago, SnipeYa said:

Go to your BIOS settings and check if its running UEFI or legacy.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

38 minutes ago, SnipeYa said:

The Windows 7 setup has a specific set of hard disk and SATA drivers installed for the time period it was released in, back in 2009. M.2 drives didn't gain much publicity until 2012-2013, so their drivers are not present in the Windows 7 installer. Ways you could remedy the problem are:

• Install Windows 7 to a hard drive, upgrade to Windows 10, then do a clean install to the M.2 SSD while the hard drive is in the system, so you get activated accordingly
  • Go into your BIOS and set the M.2 mode to SATA (I have not done this or tested this)
  • Within the Windows 7 Installer, look for an option where it says you can add drivers. Extract the M.2 drivers from your existing Windows 7 install and import them into the Installer program via a flash drive.

It's usually good practice to disable EFI when installing Windows 7 as it isn't fully compatible with EFI. When doing the fresh install of Windows 10 to your M.2 SSD, remember to re-enable EFI.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

All is well now, got into the installer loaded the driver and now its doing its thing.

Should have thought of using a different HDD though, That would have been a bunch easier.

Oooops nope, Setup finished restarted then refused to boot windows.

Time to grab an old HDD.

BTW, MBR or GPT for the SSD?

1 hour ago, SnipeYa said:

Oooops nope, Setup finished restarted then refused to boot windows.

Time to grab an old HDD.

BTW, MBR or GPT for the SSD?

GPT. MBR is so broken and stupid that it makes me cringe why they didn't inform everyone upgrading to Windows 10 to change.

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

GPT. MBR is so broken and stupid that it makes me cringe why they didn't inform everyone upgrading to Windows 10 to change.

The hard drive ideally has to be reformatted to be a GPT partitioned drive :/ 

It is possible to do an in-place conversion but it has to be done on a separate machine, but if power is lost at any point during the conversion there is a very high chance that all your data is lost.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.