First mechanical keyboard, switch decision?

Go to solution Solved by Pepi28,

I doubt that you will regret buying the brown switches. It doesn't seem worth it to spend 80 euros more just for the red switches. Heck you could buy the KM780 with browns and spend the 80 bucks on a different keyboard with red switches xD 

When it comes to things feeling like the switches, i can't really think of anything :/ 

Ok I am going to make my first mechanical keyboard purchase. I have decided on the G.Skill RipJaws KM780, I know the software is a little buggy "It's cool don't worry about it". Now where I live I can only find MX BROWN variants but i was leaning more towards RED switches, because it has no tactile bump. I can get a RED variant but it is 80€ more than the BROWN. So I was wondering would I be unhappy about my purchase or not. I know "it is hard to say" because "everybody has a preference", "and it's subjective", and "blah blah blah lip service,".... Keep in mind I have not used anything other than a standard keyboard all my life (rubber dome) so this would be something completely new to me, and would have no comparison to begin with. So yeh mechanical keyboard virgin I guess.... 

This will sound strange but.... Is there anything in everyday life that has the tactile feel of a BROWN (phones, laptops,microwaves(?)) switch so I can see what's all the hubbub about, where I live I have yet to see a mechanical keyboard on display.

Also any EU website that does localized keycaps with support for RGB (transparent letters/symbols)? 

EDIT I mostly play FPS games but nothing too competitive so I don't have to get that 0,000000001s key press

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

For 80 bucks more reds are not worth it, I have reds and use them on a daily basis, but my brother has browns and I prefer those, while they have a tactile bump it's nothing like blues, go browns.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

I doubt that you will regret buying the brown switches. It doesn't seem worth it to spend 80 euros more just for the red switches. Heck you could buy the KM780 with browns and spend the 80 bucks on a different keyboard with red switches xD 

When it comes to things feeling like the switches, i can't really think of anything :/ 

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

yes been reading a little around just now. and some people say that browns are a nice balance between red and blue switches. Witch to me sounds lieka nice middle ground to start on :)

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

5 hours ago, LukaH said:

yes been reading a little around just now. and some people say that browns are a nice balance between red and blue switches. Witch to me sounds lieka nice middle ground to start on :)

Yeah, browns are nice

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Brown all the way to town

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." Richard Fynman