Dual CPU gaming PC?

Is it possible to create a Gaming PC using a Dual-Socket motherboard?
How would that even work? Could it?

I'm talking Dual 16core Xeons for example, or simply some older 2007-2012 Xeons/Opterons

Linus did a video 

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

So it'd actually work? there's no Houdini magic to it? lol

Was curious, in part to my other post. If there's no severe draw backs I could try leaning toward such a build, as I want to try video editing, and 3D modelling.

Linus did a video 

lol I missed that one

It'll work. Go watch techyescity in youtube, he has a video that shows gaming benchmarks with a dual e5-2670.

49 minutes ago, CrownG said:

So it'd actually work? there's no Houdini magic to it? lol

Was curious, in part to my other post. If there's no severe draw backs I could try leaning toward such a build, as I want to try video edits, and 3D modelling.

No magic, you just install the cpu twice and get a beefier power supply.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

No magic, you just install the cpu twice and get a beefier power supply.

750w EVGA 80+ bronze enough to suffice for, R9 380X + 2x cpu, 2x 1TB HDD?

47 minutes ago, CrownG said:

Should be fine.

Supernova NEX or B2?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

Should be fine.

Tbh 750W is wwaaaaaaaayy too much.

3 minutes ago, CrownG said:

Sell the 380X and get a 480 on launch day (5 days)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I am also thinking about this...

But for gaming, and considering a GPU on the tier of a 290X, 390X, how would a dual xeon 2670 setup with 1333 ECC ram and a C602 chipset board handle against:

- A cheaper AMD 880K.

- A setup with a cheap Z170 board, an i3 6100 and bclk overclocked to 4.3 or 4.5

- An 8 core AMD setup with an 8320 or 8350 cpu

Cheers!

9 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

I am also thinking about this...

But for gaming, and considering a GPU on the tier of a 290X, 390X, how would a dual xeon 2670 setup with 1333 ECC ram and a C602 chipset board handle against:

- A cheaper AMD 880K.

- A setup with a cheap Z170 board, an i3 6100 and bclk overclocked to 4.3 or 4.5

- An 8 core AMD setup with an 8320 or 8350 cpu

Cheers!

Just gaming alone, one 2670 will be overkill, but will do a far better job than any of the 3 builds. The i7 6700 will be a more appropirate match against the 2670. Two 2670s are straight-up overkill unless you're doing rendering/video editing.

13 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

Just gaming alone, one 2670 will be overkill, but will do a far better job than any of the 3 builds. The i7 6700 will be a more appropirate match against the 2670. Two 2670s are straight-up overkill unless you're doing rendering/video editing.

The 2670 is sandy bridge, so the IPC is about 15% less than skylake.

It only clocks to max 3.3 turbo.

So I was wondering the i3 6100 overclocked to 4.4 would kill the dual 2670 setup...

Is this not the case?

My main doubts where the AMD cpus... As they have weaker IPC and single core performance than intel...

Cheers!

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Sell the 380X and get a 480 on launch day (5 days)

No one local to me would buy it for what I paid, roughly 300$. I opened it in Janurary. Also with my Canadian currency I'd be short abit.

Right now Im sifting through Ebay looking at the Xeon processors. When it comes to those, whats the socket preference I should be aiming for?

10 minutes ago, CrownG said:

No one local to me would buy it for what I paid, roughly 300$. I opened it in Janurary. Also with my Canadian currency I'd be short abit.

Right now Im sifting through Ebay looking at the Xeon processors. When it comes to those, whats the socket preference I should be aiming for?

You can never sell something used at full price.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

You can never sell something used at full price.

But you can get lucky! I had recently sold my GTX 650 1GB Asus Gpu for 100$, priced at 120, paid 119$(+13% tax) for it ;D. But i kept boxes and everything for it.

But yeah I could try listing it and see what comes up. Any idea what the price of the 480 might be for 1 or for 2 when released? I can compare the differences and see if I can find a medium 

6 minutes ago, CrownG said:

But you can get lucky! I had recently sold my GTX 650 1GB Asus Gpu for 100$, priced at 120, paid 119$(+13% tax) for it ;D. But i kept boxes and everything for it.

But yeah I could try listing it and see what comes up. Any idea what the price of the 480 might be for 1 or for 2 when released? I can compare the differences and see if I can find a medium 

$199~ for a 4GB version, $250~ for an 8GB version.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

When it comes to dual CPU boards, hows the compatibility for generic CPU's (Non Opterons or Xeons).

LIke say 2x Q series, i3's, i7's etc. Is that something that can be done?
As long as the sockets match up?