How is this build?

Chris.
Go to solution Solved by leadeater,

@Chris.

I've had my EVGA SuperNova NEX1500 Classified for about 4 or 5 years (don't remember exactly) and it's been great. There are certain EVGA power supplies to avoid, model range not wattage. Things I like about it are:

• Dip switches so I can supply power to the molex plugs to run my water pump without using a jumper
  • USB connection + software to get sensor information from it
  • Premium individually sleeved cables with matching colours to my ASUS MB and also my case (LD PC-V8 Black/Red) 

As @STRMfrmXMN mentioned EVGA do not actually make their power supplies, they are OEM parts and they just put a sticker on it saying EVGA. This is true for the majority, not just EVGA. General rule I follow is avoid anything from FSP.

I'll put my hypocrite hat on (my 1500/1650W PSU :P) and agree that you don't need a 1000W PSU but honestly for the total cost of the build picking a lower wattage isn't going to save much money at all.

Also for informational sake the most I've seen my system pull is about 900W, but that was running both a CPU and GPU burn in with over clocks with a D5 water cooling loop and 8 fans.

This system is going to be used for some heavy (4K) video editing and gaming.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/BYymGf

I just want some feedback on how this psu will do and if anybody has any experience with it I would love to know how it compares to other brands you've used.

Any other feedback is greatly appreciated!

10 minutes ago, mok said:

PSU is really overkill, could save some money selecting a lower wattage unit

PSU overkill, 

Mobo overkill,

ASUS Z170-A or PRO will do the job.

I see you have the 1TB SSD ( I am guessing for max performance),

Since you will be saving some money cutting corners on the PSU or Mobo, get the 950 PRO 256GB M.2 in RAID 0 and get a 1 or 2 TB HDD for games. and a 256 GB or 512 GB SSD if budget permits. Since 1 TB SSD will be mad expensive.

I need those 40 PCI-e express lanes.

I have allways put in a overkill psu because the less stress you put on it the longer it will run

effectively. It will run at optimum efficiency at about 500 watts consumption, meaning less stress on the psu. If you actually would read up on how the psu works you would understand.

I just want to know if anyone has any experience with evga psus. I have build hundreds of computers, but never with a evga psu.

I have a 750W G2 Fully modular, never has it dissappointed me in the last 8 months. 

I need those 40 PCI-e express lanes.

3 minutes ago, Chris. said:

I have allways put in a overkill psu because the less stress you put on it the longer it will run

effectively. It will run at optimum efficiency at about 500 watts consumption, meaning less stress on the psu. If you actually would read up on how the psu works you would understand.

I just want to know if anyone has any experience with evga psus. I have build hundreds of computers, but never with a evga psu.

This kinda isn't true, and is pointless, the PSU's wattage is safe up to that point, and that's where their optimum life efficiency is, because that's what they're designed for, using a 1000W PSU on a PC that doesn't need 500W is just pointless.

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

Humble_newbie, I am not interested in cutting any corners, and I have had bad experience with both of those motherboards, so I want to try  my luck with this one. The onboard wifi is great, and so are the overall aesthetic.

2 minutes ago, SherifsDog22 said:

This kinda isn't true, and is pointless, the PSU's wattage is safe up to that point, and that's where their optimum life efficiency is, because that's what they're designed for, using a 1000W PSU on a PC that doesn't need 500W is just pointless.

I have had many friends put in psu's in pc's that are well above what it needs, but 5 years later, a sudden spike in power killed a gpu or cpu. It's long term efficiency and reliability that I'm worried about, not cost. 

Don't be ridiculous. You absolutely don't need a 1000w psu for a rig with one gtx 1080, even if you're gonna overclock. At most i recommend a good 750w psu and even that is overkill for a rig with a gtx 1080. You only need 1000w when you're doing 3-way SLI and/or multiple cpus.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

6 minutes ago, Humble_newbie said:

I have a 750W G2 Fully modular, never has it dissappointed me in the last 8 months. 

It's not the 8 months I have a 1000w specked out for, it's the many years later

1 hour ago, Chris. said:

I have had many friends put in psu's in pc's that are well above what it needs, but 5 years later, a sudden spike in power killed a gpu or cpu. It's long term efficiency and reliability that I'm worried about, not cost. 

Efficiency = Shit when not using 1000W, the closer you get to that, the more efficient it is, and reliability is hit and miss depending on the company. So as said, a 1000W PSU Is pointless, and just doing it because it "puts less stress on the PSU" is just BS.

1 hour ago, Chris. said:

With you building "hundreds of pcs" Surely you're the expert?

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

Yes hundreds, I built the pc's for when my company opened a new division.

And also in the future, I am planning to run sli 1080s. 

Lol I really wanted feedback on is the BRAND.

2 minutes ago, Chris. said:

Let's not be unrealistic. As technology grows more power efficient, there's absolutely no need to get a 1000W PSU. Not even four GTX 1080s in SLI will need that much.

As for motherboards, just sounds like bad luck to be honest. You could have equally performing parts and perhaps fit in another GTX 1080 in that budget.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, Chris. said:

Then why title the post "How is this build?" and not "EVGA Opinions and Facts"?

Because I wasn't expecting a shit show about how much wattage I need

And here's our feedback:

you're wasting too much money on the power supply. You can only sli 2 gtx 1080s. Just get a 750w psu, it'll be enough.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Let's not be unrealistic. As technology grows more power efficient, there's absolutely no need to get a 1000W PSU. Not even four GTX 1080s in SLI will need that much.

As for motherboards, just sounds like bad luck to be honest. You could have equally performing parts and perhaps fit in another GTX 1080 in that budget.

And when they release the next gen "Titan card" it's still going to draw a shit ton of power

2 minutes ago, Chris. said:

The simple fact is, you asked about a build, so people answered, you're using overkill parts, people gave you advice, then you decide to try and rub in previous "experience" into shaming them. If you want to know something, actually ask that question.

@STRMfrmXMN sry for bothering you man, but could you explain to him why he doesn't need a 1000w psu? 

And when they release the next gen "Titan card" it's still going to draw a shit ton of power

And how do you know? I SEE A CRYSTAL BALL INCOMING! 

4 minutes ago, Chris. said:

And how would you know? Are you from Nvidia? Are you basing it off of the current gtx titans? Pascal is using a newer silicon, with much higher power efficiency and performance, chances are it'll eat much less power than the old titan Xs.

When evga released the 980 they touted power efficiency. Look at the outgoing Titan.

they even have a 2 gpu Titan 

18 minutes ago, Chris. said:

well that was rude
your build as configured would never consume 500watts....ever...try more like 300-350 with overclocks

Photography / Finance / Gaming

When evga released the 980 they touted power efficiency. Look at the outgoing Titan.

they even have a 2 gpu Titan 

Yup, on the old silicon base, which, has a decreased efficiency.

Are you basing this off facts? Or is this purely speculative. My guess would be the latter.

Considering you can run two GTX 980Tis/Titan X on a 650W PSU, I doubt you need more for the next big Titans.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder