2 different CPU in 1 socket

If I have a LGA1155 socket motherboard can I put either 32nm or a 22nm CPU in here like 2nd or 3rd gen i3 i5 and i7.

As the website states in the cpu support that it does allow it. Just wondering. Thanks

So long as they are the same socket, yes. You just might need a BIOS update but beyond that it should work fine.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

So long as they are the same socket, yes. You just might need a BIOS update but beyond that it should work fine.

Oh right okay then. Thanks

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Does this mean if the new kaby lake comes out I can put it in my lga1151 motherboard if the bios update comes for it. Thanks 

As kaby lake is 14nm.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, dragoncurt said:

Does this mean if the new kaby lake comes out I can put it in my lga1151 motherboard if the bios update comes for it. Thanks 

As kaby lake is 14nm.

Thanks

Yah, it should be just like Haswell-E and Broadwell-E on the x99 platform where you just needed a BIOS update to support the Broadwell-E CPUs.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, it should be just like Haswell-E and Broadwell-E on the x99 platform where you just needed a BIOS update to support the Broadwell-E CPUs.

Oh yh I seen a lot of people on youtube talking about the x99 platform and got the new cpu working with it. Thanks

The CPU needs to be the same socket of the motherboard, if you're currently using an LGA 1155 Socket motherboard, it doesn't matter what chipset or BIOS is on it, it'll never support anything newer than socket LGA 1155, because everything after that had a different number of pins on the CPU, like 1150, and 1151.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

26 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

The CPU needs to be the same socket of the motherboard, if you're currently using an LGA 1155 Socket motherboard, it doesn't matter what chipset or BIOS is on it, it'll never support anything newer than socket LGA 1155, because everything after that had a different number of pins on the CPU, like 1150, and 1151.

so the nu,ber of pins is the socket number, mindblown

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)