Modem Recommendation

PurpleDido

So, after several minutes (two, to be exact), I've decided on the TP link Archer C5 router. I know, I know, I spent way too much time deciding and probably over thought about it. 

Problem is, I'll need a new modem to go with it. 

I want to spend maybe $75-ish dollars on it if that's possible 

I mean

I don't know much about modems, so if this is way under or over budget just let me know. 

Thank you in advance. 

What is the highest supported version of DOCiS for your ISP?

Motorola surfboards used to be the way to go. Not sure if that's still the case.

4 hours ago, ENiX said:

What is the highest supported version of DOCiS for your ISP?

Motorola surfboards used to be the way to go. Not sure if that's still the case.

I have century link which supports up to  100Mbps/12Mbps , which I'm 40% sure what you're asking about. If not, I don't know. I'm in the US, by the way.

Isnt Century Link a DSL providers? If you internet provided by a phone line or coax?

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Isnt Century Link a DSL providers? If you internet provided by a phone line or coax?

phone line 

24 minutes ago, PurpleDido said:

phone line 

OK so Cable modems wont work. DOCSIS is a cable modem standard to my knowledge. Motorola makes good cable modems, so I would assume the DSL modems would be good. So the modem @ENiX posted will not work for you. Id check the Century Link website for a supported devices list. Comcast has one and it will show you what modems work on the network. But Id go for a Motorola one myself. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

15 hours ago, Donut417 said:

OK so Cable modems wont work. DOCSIS is a cable modem standard to my knowledge. Motorola makes good cable modems, so I would assume the DSL modems would be good. So the modem @ENiX posted will not work for you. Id check the Century Link website for a supported devices list. Comcast has one and it will show you what modems work on the network. But Id go for a Motorola one myself. 

Yeah that's correct. Sorry, my mistake, I missed that you said you had Century Link. I'm not sure how they are claiming 300 mbps over DSL the highest standard I know of is VDSL2.0 (30MHz) and that's only capable of 200 MBbps aggregate data. So either they are lying or there using a standard I havn't heard of.

EDIT: I would ask them what revision of VDSL they require at what frequency to support there max speed and find a modem that supports that.

Disclamer; My experiences with Centry Link in the past have been very poor and I would recommend finding another service provider.

I found the standard and here is hoping you live close to the distribution node.

"VDSL2 permits the transmission of asymmetric and symmetric aggregate data rates up to 300+ Mbit/s downstream and upstream on twisted pairs using a bandwidth up to 35 MHz. It deteriorates quickly from a theoretical maximum of 350 Mbit/s at source to 100 Mbit/s at 0.5 km (1,600 ft) and 50 Mbit/s at 1 km (3,300 ft), but degrades at a much slower rate from there, and outperforms VDSL"

So its VSDL2.0 (35 MHz) and thats what you will be looking for. And as you can see you would only get 300/50 at the source and it would be 90\10 at 1,600 FT.

https://www.amazon.com/Zyxel-Q1000Z-VDSL2-Wireless-Router/dp/B00AF002EY

On 2016-06-23 at 10:31 AM, ENiX said:

Erm... DOCSIS is not a security standard. DOCSIS is a Cable Internet transmission standard, similar to DSL. It literally stands for "Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification".

An ISP will ONLY support DOCSIS 3.0 (or any revision number) if they provide Internet Over Cable. Century Link is a DSL provider.

Your modem recommendation isn't bad, but the link provided only has used models available. I highly recommend that the OP does not buy a used Modem, especially when they have a budget of up to $75.

@PurpleDido if you can find that Zyxel modem linked above, new, that would work. Here's another alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wireless-Router-Downstream-TEW-816DRM/dp/B00UVN43X6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466798132&sr=8-1&keywords=vdsl+modem

In either of these cases, these are Modem/Router Gateway devices, which means they're all in one devices.

What that means for you, is that you'll want to disable the Wireless functionality, so that you use the Archer C5. Ideally, you'd want to set the modem into "Modem Only" mode that disables the onboard router and WIFI. That's usually a pretty common feature, but the instructions on how to do that are different for every model.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)