Z170 VS X99 - What are they & What's the difference.

Go to solution Solved by vanished,

If you still have questions, we're still here :)

I see that most motherboards are listed as Z170, but some are X99.

what is the difference between these two types of motherboards, and why would one be better than the other?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Z170 motherboard are for intel proccesors with a lga 1151 socket like the i7 6700k or 15 6600k. X99 motherboard are for intel proccesors with a lga 2011-3 socket like i7 6950x or 17 5820k.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Thanks so much!

Just to make sure I'm getting everything right here, the X99 platform supports the LGA 2011 socket, and is generally reserved for Xeons (except for intel extreme edition processors).

the Z170 platform is the general consumer grade platform, and supports LGA1150 & LGA 1151, right?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Thanks so much!

Just to make sure I'm getting everything right here, the X99 platform supports the LGA 2011 socket, and is generally reserved for Xeons (except for intel extreme edition processors).

the Z170 platform is the general consumer grade platform, and supports LGA1150 & LGA 1151, right?

More or less.   V

10 minutes ago, TheGamingGuy17 said:

Z170 motherboard are for intel proccesors with a lga 1151 socket like the i7 6700k or 15 6600k. X99 motherboard are for intel proccesors with a lga 2011-3 socket like i7 6950x or 17 5820k.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Thanks so much!

No, the Z170 chipset only supports the LGA 1151 'Skylake' socket. LGA 1150 would be Haswell and that would only be compatible with the H81, B85, H97 and Z97 chipsets.

However, you're correct on the X99 chipset.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

No, the Z170 chipset only supports the LGA 1151 'Skylake' socket. LGA 1150 would be Haswell and that would only be compatible with the H81, B85, H97 and Z97 chipsets.

However, you're correct on the X99 chipset.

Don't forget Z87 and so on :)

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Don't forget Z87 and so on :)

Yeah, forgot to include those.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder