5820k on SLI Plus x99 Motherboard Overclock Software

Howdy,

I haven't got my new computer  yet but it's ordered.

As soon as I get it I want to overclock it.

I've watched several videos on overclocking and I had a couple of questions:

1. There seems to be a number of overclocking software I can use. Do/Should I use the MSI one (which also seems like it does GPU overclocking?):

https://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner

Or is there a specific software I should use for this motherboard or in general?

2. I see the magic 1.3voltage setting but where does 1.3 come from? How do you know what voltage to set after you overclock?

3. If the tests show a stable result, does it actually mean the system is stable or can it crash if I let it run for a few days?

// Semi-off topic but bonus question

4. The motherboard supports up to 3333mhz ram, and my ram is 3000mhz. The gentleman at the computer store told me this:

For haswell cpus the max ram we suggest is is 2133Mhz. We've found that higher speed ram does not improve performance all that much, but does increase the likelihood of failures. We value reliability over absolute speed.

Does this mean my faster ram will only be running at 2133mhz? Do/can I overclock it if it does?

1. For cpu, you overclock in the bios(but sometimes you can use software like intel extreme tuning, but just use the bios). MSI afterburner is for gpu's

2. 1.3 is normally the max voltage you should give the chip, much higher and it will make it die much faster. You set the lowest voltage you can and still have a stable overclock

3.If your system is stable, then it won't crash. If it crashes after a few days its not stable and lower the clock speed.

4. Idk what the ram speed from the store is. You can oc it as much as your want(past 3333, but i suggest against it) RAM overclocking is normally a very small improvement(1% or less and can cause lots of stability issues).

1. use the BIOS to overclock, if you don't know how to then it may be a good idea to leave OCing for now :D 

2. Voltage is usually manually set if you manually overclock a CPU. Of course some motherboards can auto OC but it usually leaves you with a 4Ghz OC sipping 1.32Volts which is a bit high (that my case with my x99-s and 5820k and auto OC where as with me manually OCing, I can get 4.3Ghz at 1.3volts so you know :P)

3. Stressing a system is not enough to determine whether a system is stable or not, you've gotta use it normally and stress test it and if any crashes occur then dial the OC back or up the voltage :P (while making sure temps are all guld)

4. That PC store guy is probably talking about DDR3 RAM but he is correct, we're no long using DDR2 memory so even 1600mhz is good enough :D (but 2133mhz is lowest for ddr4 so...meh?)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

24 minutes ago, Aggressor said:

Howdy,

I haven't got my new computer  yet but it's ordered.

As soon as I get it I want to overclock it.

I've watched several videos on overclocking and I had a couple of questions:

1. There seems to be a number of overclocking software I can use. Do/Should I use the MSI one (which also seems like it does GPU overclocking?):

https://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner

Or is there a specific software I should use for this motherboard or in general?

2. I see the magic 1.3voltage setting but where does 1.3 come from? How do you know what voltage to set after you overclock?

3. If the tests show a stable result, does it actually mean the system is stable or can it crash if I let it run for a few days?

// Semi-off topic but bonus question

4. The motherboard supports up to 3333mhz ram, and my ram is 3000mhz. The gentleman at the computer store told me this:

Does this mean my faster ram will only be running at 2133mhz? Do/can I overclock it if it does?

4.No load XMP and your ram will run at 3000MHz, in programs like CPU-Z it'll say 1500MHz, you have to double it

It sounds like the guy you spoke to did not know haswell can run DDR4. he was speaking about the RAMs speed vs Cas latency. The latency is how fast your RAM interacts with your CPU. You want it to be low, and the RAM speed to be high. Just completely ignore what the guy told you.

1. Why not. Unless you have a special GPU I see no reason not to.

2. The CPU Core Voltage shouldn't exceede 1.3 on me air coolers 1.35~ volts on beefy air coolers and 1.4 on water.

3.Anything can become unstable at any point, it's just up to chance. If it's under 1.35 volts, chances are, it'll stay stable.

You really should look up videos on how to overclock, just to get a sense of how you do it, when you should stop and when you should keep going