What happens when you put 2 x 4gb cards in Crossfire? how much memory do you get?

haiimbacon
Go to solution Solved by y_unit265,
4 minutes ago, haiimbacon said:

what'll happen if I get 1 x RX480 8gb + 1 x RX480 with 4GB? 

To explain a little bit more in depth:

"Basically, each card must have a copy of the data (PCI-E bus is too slow for them to share vram). You wont be able to use more than 4gb on the 8gb card, because it must match the other card in crossfire." (Reference)

A desktop is only as strong as its weakest link. ~Somebody somewhere

Will it count as 4 gb memory or it'll be able to do the math and count it as overall 8gb memory?

You get 4gb, the memory is copied, doubling (almost) the memory bandwidth

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

2 minutes ago, BbsMentos said:

You get 4gb, the memory is copied, doubling (almost) the memory bandwidth

2 minutes ago, y_unit265 said:

It will remain 4gb. Gpu memory does not stack/multiple/ is not additive.

So may aswell aim for an 8GB card eh?... 

the 4GB version , is it going to suffer and choke a bit? will it handle?

4GB.

i'm unsure why this is still a question.

PS: and for whoever is dying to press "quote" and tell me how in DX12 the game will be able to use all the vram and blabla. give me 5 results of games that do, and then we'll talk. and no, ashes is not allowed in this list.

2 minutes ago, haiimbacon said:

So may aswell aim for an 8GB card eh?... 

is the 4GB version going to suffer and choke a bit? will it handle?

You will only be able to use 4gb for the crossfire, that's not recommended, pick a single rx480 (8GB) now and add another one later :)

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

4GB.

i'm unsure why this is still a question.

PS: and for whoever is dying to press "quote" and tell me how in DX12 the game will be able to use all the vram and blabla. give me 5 results of games that do, and then we'll talk. and no, ashes is not allowed in this list.

Sorry if I'm being a derp Q_Q , just trying to make the right choice :c 

4 minutes ago, haiimbacon said:

To explain a little bit more in depth:

"Basically, each card must have a copy of the data (PCI-E bus is too slow for them to share vram). You wont be able to use more than 4gb on the 8gb card, because it must match the other card in crossfire." (Reference)

1 minute ago, BbsMentos said:

You will only be able to use 4gb for the crossfire, that's not recommended, pick a single rx480 now and add another one later :)

I'm just preparing for a deadly scenario where the 8GB doesn't cost just 230$ or 250$ and jumps to 300$ or above. am kinda impatient , gonna buff my whole rig and wanna make sure I get it right this time , last time i was foolish and bought price-wise , surprised i managed to get the CPU and MOBO to fit XD...

And thank you everyone who answered so far <3

1 minute ago, haiimbacon said:

last time i was foolish and bought price-wise , surprised i managed to get the CPU and MOBO to fit XD...

Been there, done that. This definitively falls under the category: "I've done this once and will never do again." :P 

1 minute ago, haiimbacon said:

I'm just preparing for a deadly scenario where the 8GB doesn't cost just 230$ or 250$ and jumps to 300$ or above. am kinda impatient , gonna buff my whole rig and wanna make sure I get it right this time , last time i was foolish and bought price-wise , surprised i managed to get the CPU and MOBO to fit XD...

It will jump to $300 for the 8GB custom PCB versions + if you will outside the USA, you'll have to add taxes. So expect to pay at the very least $300 for the RX480 8GB

11 minutes ago, y_unit265 said:

much wise , such wow.

8 minutes ago, y_unit265 said:

Been there, done that. This definitively falls under the category: "I've done this once and will never do again." :P 

we should make badges for that.

7 minutes ago, BbsMentos said:

It will jump to $300 for the 8GB custom PCB versions + if you will outside the USA, you'll have to add taxes. So expect to pay at the very least $300 for the RX480 8GB

actually - no taxes nor import for me , here in Israel :'D... There's Import refund for purchases under $500 , And nobody really charges me taxes for some reason ._. ... 

Should I expect the Ref to be around $250 ~ for the 8GB? :Q_____....

what about this tho?;

RX.480.01.jpg

1762174756d9ce900891056637844290.png

those are ref o.O

source; http://videocardz.com/61193/amd-radeon-rx-480-rumors

13 minutes ago, haiimbacon said:

Will it count as 4 gb memory or it'll be able to do the math and count it as overall 8gb memory?

4GB because the second GPU mirrors the first GPU exactly.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),