VPN for home network when away

xBlizzDevious

Hey all,

I've worked with a bit of networking stuff in the past (including VPNs) but it's been a while and I'm not sure what would be best to set up.

I want to be able to use the Windows connection setup thing to connect to my home network while I'm connected to the internet elsewhere. This would allow me to access my mapped network drives as if I was at home (just limited by the slowest internet speed, obviously).

My router is using pfSense so my options are: IPSec, L2TP and OpenVPN.

Which would be most suitable and how would I go about setting it up? I have built my network on an abnormal IP range (255.255.255.0 subnet) so that it won't interfere with common ones such as 192.168.1.0.

You can setup a computer at home to work as a vpn by right clicking on the adapter and creating a new incoming connection

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

That's not what I want to do. I want to set it up in the router so that if I do anything with my server (which would be what I'd set the VPN up on) I would still be able to connect.

1 minute ago, xBlizzDevious said:

That's not what I want to do. I want to set it up in the router so that if I do anything with my server (which would be what I'd set the VPN up on) I would still be able to connect.

openvpn is probably the simplest to set up.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

14 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

openvpn is probably the simplest to set up.

I'm not sure what it is that I'm needing to set in each of the IP ranges, encryption settings and so on. Any help?

OpenVPN provide a great guide to get you through this LINK . By the way you have static or dinamic ip address ( NATed or not )? 

30 minutes ago, Mountine said:

OpenVPN provide a great guide to get you through this LINK . By the way you have static or dinamic ip address ( NATed or not )? 

I live in the UK and as standard, ISPs will always provide a dynamic IP address. I can pay my ISP to give me a static IP, but instead, I have a free Dynamic DNS that I use for friends to access game servers and such.

I should be able to use that for connecting, as far as I'm aware.

OpenVPN on PFSense is easy to setup with plenty guides out there.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

13 hours ago, xBlizzDevious said:

I live in the UK and as standard, ISPs will always provide a dynamic IP address. I can pay my ISP to give me a static IP, but instead, I have a free Dynamic DNS that I use for friends to access game servers and such.

I should be able to use that for connecting, as far as I'm aware.

yes in theory you could give a ddns service on one side but the other side must have a static ip addres, so if you are planning on use with phone forget about it because you are natted. So i told you instead to give a static ip outcome from your source because it is difficult to have a static ip on the road away from home. The guide that i linked to you should take care of all the specs you need in order to set it up. :)