HX1000i - may be slightly overcooked

foolishlywise

Apologies for the silly thread title but yes, as per, my PSU has decided to put out the most horrendous smell (burnt out cap).

Now, rewind eight hours. All was fine. It was powering everything nice and quiet. I then took delivery of some CableMod cables (genuinely, the Corsair ones are rubbish imo - too stiff). Connect everything up using new cables and go to power on the system. Motherboard gives green lights so power going to the right places I thought. 

Press the power button and the system turns on - but I notice it's hesitant to stay lit (like the power level was fluctuating to the LED). But, fans come on, water cooling pump makes noise. And then that smell. So, a dive to turn everything off. Pulled out the PSU and can confirm the smell is from its backside. Sigh. 

Would I be right to assume it could be bad cables? CableMod site lists the HX1000i compatible (I got the C-Series kit) but the PSU was working with its own cables before. Anyone have any experience with this PSU and CableMod stuff?

Cheers! 

System Spec (if needed, but why not anyway)

ASUS Z97-WS
24GB Crucial Standard RAM

R7 370 STRIX

Samsung 850 EVO 512GB | Corsair Performance Pro 128GB | WD RED 2TB

(Now deceased) HX1000i
Custom loop (EK stuff) 

All in a Fractal Design Define R2 XL

PS: BEFORE anyone says the HX1000i is overkill, the ones I've seen had so little coil whine I had to get one. Plus my middle name may or may not be overkill. 

7 minutes ago, FoolishlyWise said:

Apologies for the silly thread title but yes, as per, my PSU has decided to put out the most horrendous smell (burnt out cap).

Now, rewind eight hours. All was fine. It was powering everything nice and quiet. I then took delivery of some CableMod cables (genuinely, the Corsair ones are rubbish imo - too stiff). Connect everything up using new cables and go to power on the system. Motherboard gives green lights so power going to the right places I thought. 

Press the power button and the system turns on - but I notice it's hesitant to stay lit (like the power level was fluctuating to the LED). But, fans come on, water cooling pump makes noise. And then that smell. So, a dive to turn everything off. Pulled out the PSU and can confirm the smell is from its backside. Sigh. 

Would I be right to assume it could be bad cables? CableMod site lists the HX1000i compatible (I got the C-Series kit) but the PSU was working with its own cables before. Anyone have any experience with this PSU and CableMod stuff?

Cheers! 

ASUS Z97-WS

R7 370 STRIX

(Now deceased) HX1000i
Custom loop (EK stuff) 

PS: BEFORE anyone says the HX1000i is overkill, the ones I've seen had so little coil whine I had to get one. Plus my middle name may or may not be overkill. 

I think you would be right in assuming it was bad cables and I think Cablemod may owe you a new PSU....

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

6 minutes ago, FoolishlyWise said:

Cheers! 

ASUS Z97-WS

R7 370 STRIX

(Now deceased) HX1000i
Custom loop (EK stuff) 

Hi! I'd test the PSU with the old Corsair Cables to see if you still get the smell (Don't connect it to the motherboard though, jump the ATX connector if you can). A bad smell is most likely to be a blown cap (hopefully the PSU is still in warranty).

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

16 minutes ago, FoolishlyWise said:

Cheers! 

ASUS Z97-WS

R7 370 STRIX

(Now deceased) HX1000i
Custom loop (EK stuff) 

send us an email to support@cablemod.com and we will make it right ! :)

Cheers for the replies guys. So, a bit of an update to this

I emailed CableMod (as above). I'll get back to them in a second (spoiler: they're amazing). 

As per the suggestion by EnergyCore, I used a bridging adapter that I got with my EKWB Pump and had the PSU run with a fan attached. The smell is vile. Like actual (electronic) death vile. As I thought and STRMfrmXMN seconded, as the fault happened when I connected the cables onto the PSU and then turned it all on, suggesting it probably is because of the cables. 

I tested the PC with a spare PSU (I have an old HP PC with a 24-pin and all the relevant connectors) so had it sitting next to my build and powered it on. CPU, expansion cards, RAM, pump and motherboard all still worked fine. The WD RED data drive spun up when slotting it into my server so I assume it works, Haven't tested the SSD's yet (doing that now). 

Onto service from CableMod. They are legit amazing. 

Told me to get the product to them (from the rainy United Kingdom to Taiwan) and have offered to pay the return postage AND replace the PSU AAAAAAND provide a new set of cables. How brilliant is that?! 

Genuinely, the cables are really nice feeling compared to the Corsair ones and a dream to work with. Brilliant. 

EDIT: So, one of the SSD's seems to have died (the 128GB one, no big deal as it didn't have urgent data on it). Not recognised in any system

Cables collected by DHL too. 

Edited by FoolishlyWise

UPDATE 2: 

I genuinely love CableMod. Look what arrived a couple days ago...

IMG_2096.JPG

Connected it up using the Corsair cables and everything works, thankfully!

Now awaiting the replacement cables. Can genuinely say CableMod is a fantastic company for their support.