How do I set up Folding@Home?

I want to get into Folding@Home because I have a spare super old potato that I just upgraded to Windows 10 and have no other use for. How do I "link" it to the forum so I get the little badge? Anything else I should know before I start?

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

You download it from the F@H page, then install it and start it.

It'll then ask you if you want to fold anonymosly or make an account. So you make the account, and enter the LTT Team Number in the Settings.

- Done.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

5 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

You download it from the F@H page, then install it and start it.

It'll then ask you if you want to fold anonymosly or make an account. So you make the account, and enter the LTT Team Number in the Settings.

- Done.

Not sure what the LTT team number is, but I will see that in webcam's link I'd imagine. Thanks

4 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Not sure what the LTT team number is, but I will see that in webcam's link I'd imagine. Thanks

Yeah the Team number is just 223518.

there is some line where you have to enter that. But it'll surely be explained in the link.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

What is the hardware?  If it's particularly old, it could be running for quite some time before you qualify for any of the badges, especially the upper ones.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What is the hardware?  If it's particularly old, it could be running for quite some time before you qualify for any of the badges, especially the upper ones.

It's horrible (Core 2 Duo E4400) so I don't expect to get anything very quickly.

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

It's horrible (Core 2 Duo E4400) so I don't expect to get anything very quickly.

And no GPU?  My estimate will be ~1000 PPD.  iirc you need 21 WU for the first badge (doesn't correlate to a set point amount but could take weeks), and then for each badge after that it's 1M points, 20M, and then 200M.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And no GPU?  My estimate will be ~1000 PPD.  iirc you need 21 WU for the first badge (doesn't correlate to a set point amount but could take weeks), and then for each badge after that it's 1M points, 20M, and then 200M.

Could you explain what PDD and WU are? Also I  am saving for a 1070 so once I get that I will put my 760 in there, but for now no GPU.

3 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Could you explain what PDD and WU are? Also I  am saving for a 1070 so once I get that I will put my 760 in there, but for now no GPU.

Points Per Day and Work Units.  A work unit is just one complete task assigned to and completed by your system.  When you finish it you will be awarded a certain number of points.  The faster you can do them, obviously, the more points per day you'll earn.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Points Per Day and Work Units.  A work unit is just one complete task assigned to and completed by your system.  When you finish it you will be awarded a certain number of points.  The faster you can do them, obviously, the more points per day you'll earn.

Okay. How do I tell it to link to my forum account specifically, if everyone uses the same team number? Also can I use the same account on multiple PC's? I might consider setting it up on my main PC for when it's not in use. 

2 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Okay. How do I tell it to link to my forum account specifically, if everyone uses the same team number? Also can I use the same account on multiple PC's? I might consider setting it up on my main PC for when it's not in use. 

It's not connected to your forum account.  When you're ready, just PM one of the mods and well pass the message along; the badges are awarded manually by checking your folding account, the stats of which are public.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's not connected to your forum account.  When you're ready, just PM one of the mods and well pass the message along; the badges are awarded manually by checking your folding account, the stats of which are public.

Ah okay, thanks. I assume I can set it up on both PCs?

Ah okay, thanks. I assume I can set it up on both PCs?

yes

7 minutes ago, No said:

Okay sort of off topic but is folding basically using your computer to find a cure?

And all I know about folding is that it's available at https://folding.stanford.edu/

Yes is uses spare computing power (runs when you leave the computer idle) to simulate how proteins reproduce, or "fold" and interact with medication, etc. to learn more about diseases and cures.  You can read more on on their website I believe.  And you just reminded me/made me notice, this is in the wrong subforum :P

Yes is uses spare computing power (runs when you leave the computer idle) to simulate how proteins reproduce, or "fold" and interact with medication, etc. to learn more about diseases and cures.  You can read more on on their website I believe.  And you just reminded me/made me notice, this is in the wrong subforum :P

Thanks and you're welcome :P

I want to try out folding now 

13 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

yes

Okay, just one more thing. Where can I set it to just run my CPU, not GPU? Can't find a settings page.

Okay, just one more thing. Where can I set it to just run my CPU, not GPU? Can't find a settings page.

You want to run the GPU if you have one - for example, a 4770k might net you about 10k to 11k PPD 24/7, but a GTX 660 will get you like 50k.  Something like a 980 ti is typically around 500k up to close to 1M if you're lucky.

You want to run the GPU if you have one - for example, a 4770k might net you about 10k to 11k PPD 24/7, but a GTX 660 will get you like 50k.  Something like a 980 ti is typically around 500k up to close to 1M if you're lucky.

I will run the GPU when I am away from the room, but it gets very hot and loud under heavy load due to having a terrible OEM cooler. So I would rather not have it under load when I am trying to sleep :)

I will run the GPU when I am away from the room, but it gets very hot and loud under heavy load due to having a terrible OEM cooler. So I would rather not have it under load when I am trying to sleep :)

aw, that's the best time since you're not trying to use the computer while it works! :D

Well to answer the question, once you have it installed, you can easily enable or disable CPU and GPU folding independently in the settings.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

aw, that's the best time since you're not trying to use the computer while it works! :D

Well to answer the question, once you have it installed, you can easily enable or disable CPU and GPU folding independently in the settings.

I'll have it going while I'm not using it while I'm at school/work as well, and once I get a new GPU that doesn't sound like a leafblower under load I can run it while I'm in the room as well. I was more asking where to find the settings actually, maybe I'm just blind but I don't see it anywhere.

4 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

I'll have it going while I'm not using it while I'm at school/work as well, and once I get a new GPU that doesn't sound like a leafblower under load I can run it while I'm in the room as well. I was more asking where to find the settings actually, maybe I'm just blind but I don't see it anywhere.

Right-click on the icon in the system tray, and go to Advanced Control.  Then click Configure in the upper left corner, and switch to the Slots tab.  You can select one of these and click Edit to change settings, or remove it entirely.  Adding them in is easy if you need to again.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Right-click on the icon in the system tray, and go to Advanced Control.  Then click Configure in the upper left corner, and switch to the Slots tab.  You can select one of these and click Edit to change settings, or remove it entirely.  Adding them in is easy if you need to again.

Thanks, I'm all set then :D