23" 1080p monitor vs 27" 1440p monitor

JBlack

I have been having this discussion with a couple of my friends.. Which monitor delivers much sharper and more detailed image quality between a 23" 1080p monitor and a 27"1440p monitor?? Or rather.. Which resolution can you pick even outside the mentioned resolutions will give the best image quality in reference to the monitor size?

A 30" 4K monitor.

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

1440p is much sharper, no matter what size of screen you are using, you still get a ton of pixels more. Saying that a 1080p 23'' produces a sharper/more detailed image than a 1440p 27'' is just a way to try to justify you're too poor/cheap to get a 1440p 27'' =P

But if you want the best resolution/sharpest image, then yes you can go for 4k res and stuff like that ^^

I have been having this discussion with a couple of my friends.. Which monitor delivers much sharper and more detailed image quality between a 23" 1080p monitor and a 27"1440p monitor?? Or rather.. Which resolution can you pick even outside the mentioned resolutions will give the best image quality in reference to the monitor size?

1440p Will have a better image no matter what.You just have to have the GPU horsepower behind it.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

A 30" 4K monitor.

Now let's speak realistically . . . At affordable price points . .

A 23" 1080p monitor will deliver 95.78 ppi, while a 27" 1440p monitor has about 108.79 ppi. A 27" 1440p monitor is more crisp, and games look much better at this resolution.

A 23" 1080p monitor will deliver 95.78 ppi, while a 27" 1440p monitor has about 108.79 ppi. A 27" 1440p monitor is more crisp, and games look much better at this resolution.

But you'll naturally have to take your videocard into consideration to run games but outside if gaming 1440 rocks even with a modest GPU

I had never thought of it from that aspect, but this solves it.

a 4K 31.5" will be the sharpest, but it's over $3500 so forget that..

27" 2560x1440 will be sharper than 23" 1920x1080... higher PPI

not tho mention that the larger the display, you nationally look at it from a slightly larger distance...

I personally am getting a 23" 1080p monitor. This is because it is a placeholder until I get a 4K monitor once the prices come down and more choices exist in the market. 

Otherwise, I would get the 27" 1440p monitor. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

How about a 21" 1080p..

More PPI, but smaller screen. That is a personal preference choice imo. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The smaller the screen, the closer a person tends to sit at least that's what I noticed. If it's a huge screen, the farther back the monitor is / the person is.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Now let's speak realistically . . . At affordable price points . .

Affordability is subjective, but I get what you mean. Nothing to see here.

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

The smaller the screen, the closer a person tends to sit at least that's what I noticed. If it's a huge screen, the farther back the monitor is / the person is.

Just a thought, I have a 42" screen (TV) and I sit about 6" to 1' away. With a 20" screen, I would sit 6" to 1' away anyway. 

:P I am the exception. Yay me.

† Christian Member †

Just a thought, I have a 42" screen (TV) and I sit about 6" to 1' away. With a 20" screen, I would sit 6" to 1' away anyway. 

:P I am the exception. Yay me.

Dude... Your eyes will fall off!!! :-D

True.. I am a desk kinda guy.. monitor right in my eyes.. But I am still planning on getting a 1440p

I think it depends entirely on how far away you are from the screen along with your own eyes....

My 27inch is only 1080p, my head is about 70cm away from the screen, its comfortable and the best distance for me.

My 24inch is also 1080p, same head position, it also feels comfortable, I can't tell the difference between them (PPI that is) they look identical.

My 42inch TV (use it as a gaming/movie screen) is also 1080p, sit about 160cm ish away from it, feels comfortable and I can't really notice any difference between the PPI or anything with it...

Can only tell the difference when I get very close (like my eyeball is on the screen) and I can actually see the pixels....

Different with the TV as thats much larger....I can get to around 30cm away before I can notice anything, and at that distance it wouldn't exactly be practical to use it xD

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Dude... Your eyes will fall off!!! :-D

Been doing it since I was 4 years old. I am 19 now. They are doing fine. :)

† Christian Member †

But you'll naturally have to take your videocard into consideration to run games but outside if gaming 1440 rocks even with a modest GPU

Yeah, my 780 handles 1440p quite easily.

I've heard great things about the QNIX QX2710 Evolution II which happens to be on my list of potential upgrades in the near future.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans