Do I need a sound card

Kyle2278

Hey sorry if this has been answered a lot but should I get a sound card for my computer I am currently upgrading to a asrock extreme 4 mobo and use astro a40 headset without mix amp as that is plugged into the ps3. I listen to music all the time and play games most of the time. Is it work it to get a sound card? What will the difference be?

Thanks heaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

No, read the FAQ.

I did but still thought I should ask wanted to know more detail for my situation.

No you don't need a sound card. But if you do it will increase the sound quality a lot.

It's like saying do I need an Audi to get some bread, you don't but you will get more comfort out of it and will get you a lot more pleasant experience using.

What I'm saying is that your bread will taste better if you get a sound card.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

No you don't need a sound card. But if you do it will increase the sound quality a lot.

It's like saying do I need an Audi to get some bread, you don't but you will get more comfort out of it and will get you a lot more pleasant experience using.

What I'm saying is that your bread will taste better if you get a sound card.

No, it won't. On board audio is perfectly fine for a headset of that caliber... Sound cards are only of use when your on board is just flat out broken, our if you need the outputs it provides.

| Operating Systems: Arch Linux  /  Debian Linux  /  Windows 7 | Audio: Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D + AKG Q701 |

| Display: Samsung Syncmaster P2450H | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Black | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL Brown | Mic: Samson C03U |

| Case: Corsair 600T | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K | GPU: AMD HD7950 | Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair TX850M |

No, it won't. On board audio is perfectly fine for a headset of that caliber... Sound cards are only of use when your on board is just flat out broken, our if you need the outputs it provides.

So you're saying on board audio is justified when having a 150 dollar headset?

Have you ever even watched a linustechtips video about sound?

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

Yes, it is. Headsets are not worth putting any money into, they are not made for good audio reproduction.

Linus isn't the god of audio.

Yes, I admire your reading comprehension :)

If you don't have weird problems with on-board and no need for amplification due to high impedance headphones, on-board is fine.

| Operating Systems: Arch Linux  /  Debian Linux  /  Windows 7 | Audio: Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D + AKG Q701 |

| Display: Samsung Syncmaster P2450H | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Black | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL Brown | Mic: Samson C03U |

| Case: Corsair 600T | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K | GPU: AMD HD7950 | Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair TX850M |

Yes, it is. Headsets are not worth putting any money into, they are not made for good audio reproduction.

Linus isn't the god of audio.

Yes, I admire your reading comprehension :)

If you don't have weird problems with on-board and no need for amplification due to high impedance headphones, on-board is fine.

I know and I'm not saying he needs an audio card, I'm saying it will greatly improve audio quality.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

I know and I'm not saying he needs an audio card, I'm saying it will greatly improve audio quality.

Which is absolutely wrong. I have owned a (usb) sound card, and the only thing it does is remove the jitter that comes from the motherboard, which is most noticeable when i used it with my notebook. I currently own an O2/ODAC combo, considered to be one of the best headphone dac/amp combos around. Even that thing does not really improve SQ imho. Again, it removes jitter and is able to drive my relatively high impedance headphones, nothing more, nothing less.

That's not necessarily true at all.

so for a 150€ headset it wouldn't be a good next step the check out some sort of audio card over onboard audio that doesn't seem to provide something more then the absolute basic?

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

so for a 150€ headset it wouldn't be a good next step the check out some sort of audio card over onboard audio that doesn't seem to provide something more then the absolute basic?

That is exactly what we are trying to communicate. The price of the headset is in no way relevant by the way. If I slap a 200$ price tag on some apple ear buds, do they suddenly require a sound card too?

On board audio isn't "basic anymore". It will slightly improve SQ but it's not worth the money at all or the headache of drivers, and dealing with the card when it fails, which they do a lot.

"need" is always subjective. From what I've worked with Asrock (I will try hard not to rage at their awful prodcuts) they don't have the best onboard sound cards. If you want better audio quality then get a good sound card. As far as What I say: why not? Getting a sound card won't kill you, instead it'll enrich your life :). What's your preffered budget?

external sound card/ dac/amp should be a better than internal sound card tho

get a second hand mixamp, there your PC sound will be just as good as your PS3 sound. That is assuming that your experience with on board is crap. A used mixamp will be cheaper that a good soundcard or a new mixamp

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

"need" is always subjective. From what I've worked with Asrock (I will try hard not to rage at their awful prodcuts) they don't have the best onboard sound cards. If you want better audio quality then get a good sound card. As far as What I say: why not? Getting a sound card won't kill you, instead it'll enrich your life :). What's your preffered budget?

Thanks for this well I haven't really thought about budget yet just wanted to get an idea of if I should but now I think I won't bother. Thanks anyway

get a second hand mixamp, there your PC sound will be just as good as your PS3 sound. That is assuming that your experience with on board is crap. A used mixamp will be cheaper that a good soundcard or a new mixamp

I might look into this thanks :) didn't think of that

On board audio isn't "basic anymore". It will slightly improve SQ but it's not worth the money at all or the headache of drivers, and dealing with the card when it fails, which they do a lot.

Thanks for the help I don't think I'll get one now

Thanks for the help and I think what your saying makes sense but the benefits don't seem worth the price. Thanks heaps

My onboard is good, only reason i upgraded was because i needed more power to drive headphones.

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

My onboard is good, only reason i upgraded was because i needed more power to drive headphones.

*Voltage  :rolleyes:

no, I only use the onboard audio of my dell xps8500 and your mobo has a good audio system anyways