HDMI Switch with Optical Out that is compatible with 1440P Monitor

StormEye

I currently have a basic HDMI Switch and a Optical Cable Switch to connect all my consoles (XBONE, PS4, Wii U) to my 1080P old monitor and DAC/Amp.

Recently, I have upgraded to a 1440P monitor (ASUS PG279Q), and HDMI Switch no longer works. Connecting PS4 directly to the new monitor works.

So, I am in need of a new HDMI Switch, but now I would like to combine the functions of HDMI Switch and Optical Switch.

So the requirements are

1. Compatible with 1440P Monitor (optionally to 4K as well)

2. Has a built in Optical Out

3. No additional input on both video and audio (I think most switches, if not all, are lag free but I am throwing in another function so just double checking)

4. HDMI signal requires to run 5m, so the signal needs to be strong enough (I already have a cable that works at 5m)

AV receiver?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

AV receiver?

I tried to not get AV Receiver as it takes up quite a large space.

But is that the only way to go? Are all AV Receivers lag free and compatible with resolutions of 1440P?

10 minutes ago, StormEye said:

I tried to not get AV Receiver as it takes up quite a large space.

But is that the only way to go? Are all AV Receivers lag free and compatible with resolutions of 1440P?

afaik they are just a passthrough and many of them are 4k compatible (but that probably just means upscaling)

but yeah if you want to switch multiple sources of audio and video at once i find a receiver the most convenient option

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

afaik they are just a passthrough and many of them are 4k compatible (but that probably just means upscaling)

but yeah if you want to switch multiple sources of audio and video at once i find a receiver the most convenient option

Hmmm.... I see.

Do you have anything that you can recommend?

2 minutes ago, StormEye said:

Hmmm.... I see.

Do you have anything that you can recommend?

ive only used sony ones, worked fine for me

you can find a ton of cheap ones on craigslist

although AV receivers do have amps built in

maybe you can find some sort of multiport switch without any amps to take up less space

i doubt it would be cheaper though

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

ive only used sony ones, worked fine for me

you can find a ton of cheap ones on craigslist

although AV receivers do have amps built in

maybe you can find some sort of multiport switch without any amps to take up less space

i doubt it would be cheaper though

Well, I guess its time to go AV Receiver shopping.

I don't know this for sure, but I believe an 4K HDMI switch (an HDMI 2.0 switch) should work for you. The source and destination do a handshake to determine what resolution to run at, and everything in between has to support whatever the handshake agrees on - so a 4K switch would not be a bottleneck for 1440p

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: